Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Cement in a can.... Hairspray

Last night, I thought I would do something different. And catch a movie. What a movie.

Hairspray.

Now, I know the pundits would say it's a remake. And then draw all sorts of comparisons, usually unfavourable, between the new and the old. But I've never seen the old. And totally loved the new.

Bright. Colourful. Fun. My feet were tapping and my head was nodding. And I left the theatre bouyed by an overflow of good spirits.

On one occasion I laughed myself into an attack of the snorts. Hopefully it got lost among the general laughter. And there was plenty to laugh at.

John Travolta was amazing as Edna. Knowing full well it who was in the suit under the makeup didn't detract from the viewing pleasure. For me, it probably enhanced it. I couldn't help thinking 'how cute!' through some of the scenes. And he was soooo girly!! And how much practice to be able to dance in a pair of heels? Ok, so not the stilettos Michelle Pfeiffer's character was wearing, but heels nontheless.

The chemistry between Edna and Christopher Walken as Wilbur was sweet. The scene I call the 'seduction scene' was sweet. Walken couldn't stop smiling and looked like he was going to burst into giggles.

And the new girl! What a voice!

I loved it. I can't wait for the dvd. And I think I'll overdose on the soundtrack for a while. Wow.

And by the end of the movie, all I could say was "Big is Beautiful!!" Long live the big.

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Have the original at home. Edna is played by Divine, very well too I might add. It is one of Jr Her's fave movies, and we both want to see the remake. It sounds like a lot of fun, with different music. Oh, Rikki Lake is Tracey in the original. Love musicals. Long live musicals! haha.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Rikki Lake was fantastic in the original!! i was wondering if you still had it! yes, might be one to have to check out i think :-)