Wednesday, July 09, 2008

This is the dawning of the age of .... solo?

We seem to be perched on the brink of a new era, and I'm not sure I like it.

I never thought I would say this, but this might be a big step toward the whole empty nest thing. And I'm not ready for it.

Perhaps I should clarify that. I'm not going to enjoy the quiet and solitude. I thought I might. But the more people there are in the house, the more I find I'm liking it. And the less I'm looking forward to there being only MOTH.

Right now, the Elder is counting the weeks until she finishes her traineeship. That's supposed to happen in early August. Then she has a week to say her fond farewells. And pack. The week after that, the plan is to move. To NSW. Yes, that's right. NSW. At least until December. That's the plan.

Sunny is missing Judah desperately. He can't wait to move in together. Judah lives away, but would love to move locally. Once Judah gathers the courage and the finances to do that, Sunny will move. And it looks like that could be happening this year as well.

The Teen has wanted to move out for a long time now. In fact, the only reason she hasn't done so is because she has no way of supporting herself.

I'm happy for the Elder, and I hope she's happy. I'm proud that she's grown in cofidence. It's great to see her smiling. I love her muchly and she will be missed. In a quiet way though I guess. She's still the quiet one she was as a child. And her presence in the house will be missed. Especially the ride to work. Which is about the only time we spend quality time interacting.

The Teen seems to like the amount of time I give her. Not a lot so she doesn't feel crowded. And I'm welcome to hug and kiss her occasionally. Just not too often. And of course, I must give hugs and kisses and time when she comes to me. She doesn't do talk, quiet and still well. Thankfully, she would much rather 'talk' to the compter than me.

I spend most of my time with Sunny. We watch movies. And we talk. Something I don't get from anyone else. We're open to others joining us on the couch for our quiet time. But no one takes up that offer. So we sit in the dark, watch movies and talk. He snuggles and tells me about his day and what some of his friends are doing and what the relationship status with his parents is, and how much he misses Judah. And I listen and provide support. While we watch movies. Cause we have mad skills and can multitask.

And although I wish him happy, for entirely selfish reasons I am going to miss that terribly when he moves.

I had asked MOTH about having someone else move in when the Elder moves on. Not immediately, but sometime later. He said no. Not at all. And that brings me back to the not looking forward to being an empty nester. MOTH would like me to spend more time with him, but when I do, I get to sit on the bed reading or doing puzzles. While he surfs or plays games on the computer. He doesn't say much. I haven't pointed out what I consider obvious - that if Judah moved in, Sunny wouldn't need me at all..... and we could spend time together ... doing boring things ... cause he won't stay up and watch movies ... go out for sundaes ... or just go out ...

4 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

pity you can't get him to go out sometime. we do that when we are together. we either put on a movie together or go for coffee somewhere. or for a drive to places we haven't been. it's nice to spend time together.

what is in NSW for Elder? Surely not with her new man yet? Where is she going there? I wish her luck...she could always come to adelaide (I found a goth shop the other day!)

xx

The Elder said...

goth shop hey? i'm so THERE!!!! lol.

and muuuuummyyyyyyyy!!!!!
*cuddles*

i never thought of it from your point of view. that's so sad!

*is now a sad panda*

i'll be back to visit between when i leave and december... u can count on it.

and once december rolls around, we might be moving up here together. he really likes this place. and he loves you guys. he's so happy that u've accepted him already and we all get along so well.

he's a keeper that's for sure!

Colleen Barnett said...

hey, Elder, don't be fooled! She's just writing that stuff to look like she cares! Secretly she can't wait! haha.

No, seriously, just joking...I think....:-)

Paula Lynn Johnson said...

Thanks for this post. Now I'll think twice the next time I wish my twins were older and out of the house.