Sunday, January 11, 2015

Nose to the grindstone

Annnnd I'm back. Back home from my trip up north. Catching up on my mail. And I had better make a serious effort to get back on track with my assessments. And that complaint. Better get that sorted. It's been a couple of weeks now and I still haven't managed to finish the time line and scan the supporting documents. Sigh. I really don't know where my life is disappearing to right now.

Hmmm. Thanks ladies, I hadn't thought of double bed sheets. I know they would work if I chose two flat sheets, but would Niece be able to handle making the bed up with them? There's no elastic to just snap on the mattress, and I don't have the time or the inclination to convert them. Something to think about.

I took the train trip up north to fetch her back. I'd forgotten how long a six hour trip can feel. Most of the way I shared my row with another lady. She was a good travelling companion. Chatted occasionally but spent most of the time attached to headphones and music. I spent my time in my seat, watching a movie because I didn't know how to attach myself to the sound. I knew there must be some way but I wasn't enthusiastic enough to try to figure it out. I read for a while, and bought lunch. Once I got past the fact that the "traditional gravy" was in fact some sort of mint flavoured sauce or gravy it was actually a very good meal. The meat was tender, and the veges still crisp. *for those not in the know, two flavours i hate with lamb are rosemary, and mint*

There was plenty of leg room. I confess, that's usually at the very bottom of my list of requirements! The only drawback was I had very sore shoulders and a headache. The arm rests are just a bit too high and I was actually unconsciously raising my shoulders to use them.

Elder met me at the station and off we went. Or at least, that was the plan. The car battery was dead. She called her father in law and he came to the rescue. Got mobile, back to her place out of town to swap cars, then back into town to join Ma and Pa *and the rest of the family* for dinner. Take away. They had pizza and I had golden chicken. I always get a 1/4 chicken and veges with gravy. Love it.

Mouse had a pizza called a "butchers block". I don't know what's on it, but even without cheese *one of her dietary no no's* it looked quite all right.

The next morning I spent with Ma and Pa again. Burrich joined us for a short time before he headed off to work. Then off to the next town to ditch me at Teen's place. She was excited, but more I think, for the fact that finally she had someone who could ride the passenger side while she drives. No one else in her group is legally allowed. You have to be on your "opens" for at least 12 months. Bman makes that mark in March or April I think. At one point during the visit, there was no honey. Let's go out and get some! Such excitement that she could just jump in the car and go. Hopefully the license won't be too far away.

I meet Bman's family at a bbq dinner. Everyone seems to be there - his parents, a grandparent, a cousin who lives in the granny flat, and his brother. The dinner was great. Especially since someone else cooked it. Lunch again with his mum a couple of days later and plenty of driving about and trying to teach Fennekin to sit while I scratched her ears. She's a very enthusiastic pup!

Then end of week and back to Elder. That week has just gone so fast! I offer to treat Elder to the movies. I want to see Into The Woods. She thinks she might like Big Hero 6 as well. We stop by the cinema and check screening times. BH6 isn't screening this late. *sorry elder, but i wasn't sorry* and it's Into The Woods. We grab some snacks with the view of getting dinner afterward.

I loved the movie. It's a musical like the original play. Fairy tale based but not necessarily happy endings for those involved. Some messages there in the story line for sure! I'd watch it again and again. Looks like that's on the DVD list.

And when the movie ended, Elder wasn't hungry and I couldn't decided. I eventually went adventurous and tried the steak wrap from Maccas. And found a cousin serving behind the counter. Excellent!

Ma tells me that Niece has been very well behaved this trip. I know there was some reversion to previous behaviour but certainly not to a huge degree. I guess I should be happy with that. But she's come back with her scalp condition. I'm hoping that a change of shampoo will help. The one she has brought back is not the one I buy for her. She needs sulphate free to control the amount of grease. And Ma commented on the fact that the scalp condition had all but disappeared. Her skin has broken out again too, and I think that may have something to do with not limiting her diet and eating too much oily food. I try limit that here too. Cause I'm mean like that.

The trip home was uneventful. Niece handled it well, listening to some music and dozing some. I was a bit peeved since our seat had no power point so I slipped to an empty chair to use theirs. For a few minutes before the next stop and boom. Someone was seated there. Dammit. But this time, the PA announced the correct channel for the movies. Thanks chaps, I could have done with that on the ride up when I actually wanted to watch the movie...

And home to my lovely, wonderful, darling MOTH. Whom I love to the moon and back. And, incidentally, has double paid the rent in my absence. Siiiiiigh....

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

lol. Sounds like a great trip. I might be responsible for that scalp thing, cause I bought her some cheap shampoo to put in her gift. Sorry about that. Re that gift - thought they might be useful when T comes to help out?

Glad you had a break/trip/something different. Help with the inertia at all? I'd die for some inertia right now... falling asleep at the desk....

Chris H said...

A good trip then.
It's always great to get home too though eh.

I'm sure you will sort out your nieces scalp and health again.