Tuesday, October 10, 2006

bicycles, buses and other unassociated random stuff

As a regular user of public transport my day usually begins with a mad dash round the house to make sure I am ready before the supersonic dash down the highway to the station. Fighting the other wallies in the same situation for a stopping space in the drop off zone before everyone takes off at the same time, making the sprint for the exit to beat the traffic.

Just a regular, normal day.

Once I leave the train and grab a passing bus, I can zone till it's time to pretend enthusiasm for the day and head to the office. No zoning today - I think our driver had the Indy on his mind. Racing down the straights, weaving through the traffic. Bouncing off the kerb. I sit in the back row and doesn't that knock your bones about. Pulling into a stop and banging the back corner of the bus against the power pole on takeoff. Kissing the back of the seat before me because a taxi in front had the hide to stop. A cyclist, head down bum up, racing for all his worth, like a hare with a fox on its tail while the bus did its level best to run him down. Or pass, whatever. By the time I got to work the adrenaline rush was over and I was ready to go home.

And on the subject of bicyles, lately I notice that I seem to be stalked by the things. Creeping about in my peripheral vision. Through the pedestrian walkway in front of my work building. In the subway tunnel at the station. I never know whether to go left or right and just feel like sticking a stick through their spokes. Blighters. I hate the things. Fell off one once and never felt the same way about them.

Course you know I was cheering for the bus...

No comments: