Monday, September 27, 2010

Surely it's not Monday?

Wow. Something is getting eager. I accidentally published this post without any content. It could be that I am home from work, full of snot. Alright perhaps I exaggerate, half full. Today this cold is affecting one side of my face. Tommorrow it will take over the world. Well, the other side of my face anyway.

I think I mentioned previously about a large phone bill run up by the Teen. It was so much higher than previous that we thought there may have been some mistake with the bill. We've been meaning to get it changed to the Teen's name, but it is proving difficult to manage the timing. I had checked about the procedure and it seems that she needs 100 points of ID. Driver's license, atm card, etc. That works. Later I found out it couldn't be a learner's permit. That kind of puts a stop to things!

We can't get it changed to her name anyway while she is here because I have to sign paperwork and provide ID at the same time. We can't do it when she goes back home because the store where she opens her account needs to sight signatures and ID for both people. Sigh. I asked about termination fees as we are about 18 months into the contract. No, it would still cost somewhere in the region of $400 to do this. Sigh again. So, for the next 6 months or so, the phone stays in my name and when the contract expires she can get her own account and I won't renew.

We did upgrade the plan for no penalty. For an extra $10 a month, text is unlimited and that should stop the over the cap spend!

MOTH drove me to my lift on Wednesday. Zman doesn't pick me up from home; we drive to a service station on the way and I swap cars there. On the way, I looked out my window and there was a pee wee, racing along side. He kept up very well and scared the bejeezuz out of me when he dived toward the car! I thought we were destined to collide for sure! But no, he swerved at the last minute. Whew. I'm awake now.

Today I've noticed a sign down the hall that says Men At Work. Why? Do they not normally work? I'm aware there are offices down there, but it's sad to have to put a sign out to let people know you are contributing. *yes, i know, it's really for the tradies doing the new cabling*

I have a performance review this week, and my supervisor set up a meeting time on the calendar. Hers, not mine. She forgot to invite me! The review goes well as can be expected - she's only been supervising me for a couple of months so can't really say a lot about my previous year's work performance. I don't like these things, I don't think they are an accurate measurement of what I do. Actually, I don't like anything I do being measured. However, it's also supposedly a tool to let me plan my career path for the next year. Ummmm. Well. I don't know what I want to do for the next year. And I won't know till it comes up. What sort of planning can I do for that? I don't like to plan my career path - I might not be in the same job next year. I do have a couple of new tasks out of it though I suppose. No more time to be bored!

Thursday I'm on the bus, reading. We come to a halt. I'm leaning toward the window to see what's ahead. Roadworks? There is a lot of buses in a line! Turns out we've all just arrived at the traffic lights at the same time. How terribly boring! I was hoping for a bus breakdown. I love the big tow trucks they use to haul them off.

Thursday night is shopping night. We buy meat from the butcher, who has an open store front in the centre. Lovely people and good produce. We make our choices and MOTH goes to the counter. I'm standing at the store front, not in the actual store. The butcher greets MOTH with a cheery How are you. MOTH replies, Can't complain, she'll hear me. They laugh and the butcher raises his voice a little. Can you just leave for a moment? MOTH and the other butchers in earshot laugh and I call from the front I HEARD THAT! It sets them all off again. Very friendly staff there.

It's Friday and I'm on the bus settling in for the ride. Suddenly the driver slams on the brakes and I nearly do a face plant into the seat in front. AND nearly dropped the iPad. Close! Stupid skirt stuck to the seat but I didn't stick to the skirt!

It's Saturday and I've nothing exciting planned. I sleep in a little longer than usual and then I'm up to clean up after Jerome and grab some breakfast. The Teen and I had planned to make churros today. I have a recipe and I'm curious to see how it goes. It looks simple enough. But she's still asleep.

She doesn't wake till late then some friends call her to invite her out that night. A friend of hers has landed a job and he wants to celebrate. She's gone that afternoon and says she won't be home for dinner. She doesn't like what I have planned. Thai red curry chicken with rice.

Sometime around midnight a voice calls at the bedroom window. Mu-um, oi, can you unlock the door? I thought you had your keys? So did I but I don't. MOTH got up and let them in. She tells me the next day that they went back to the party and didn't get home again till 4am.

Sunday I'm wondering what to have for dinner. And it suddenly dawns on me that I have found a recipe yesterday for creamy garlic prawns. Now I have the opportunity to try it! The Teen likes prawns too. I wake her to ask if she wants some. Yep she says and goes back to sleep. I go and buy prawns. They are expensive, but they are garlic flavoured and have been completely shelled. I can live with that.

I wait for her to wake. I still want to cook the churros. She's still sleeping. I decide to start anyway. I've never cooked them before and I'm not sure how they should turn out. Uh oh. The recipe looks straight forward BUT! Do I take the boiled liquid off the heat before I add the flour? Do I add the flour all at once? Do I wait for the liquid to cool? I don't do any of these things and it turns out a little sticky. Did I say a little? I'm not sure if I should abandon the job. I decide to keep going anyway. I have to squeeze the mix through a piping bag and cut off the 'sausages'.

They were a little doughy but tasted fine. After I finish, I wake the Teen. Get up. We have churros! Yay she says and it's the fastest she's moved for a while.

Sunday night and I can't wait to start cooking. Garlic prawns is one of my favourite dishes. MOTH hates prawns so I have to find him something else. I've promised him mushrooms with bacon and onion. Bugger! The Teen also likes mushrooms and she's only left him a couple of small ones. I have to bulk it with bacon and onion!

I have both dishes going at the same time, with the rice cooking in the microwave. It's all going really well. I'm even standing at the stove stirring a pot with each hand. MOTH likes his mushrooms although he points out that the sauce is much creamier than he was expecting. He usually ends up with a lot of liquid in his concoctions. He says it was perfect. Alright, so I probably put him on the spot but I have to ask!

The garlic prawns are DIVINE! I MUST NOT LOSE THIS RECIPE!

Maybe I can do it again just for me. *drool*

3 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

yes, make those prawns again just for you. I dare ya!

I like a friendly butcher. My post office is like that. Makes a nice change.

Sorry you are not well today. Hope the drugs kick in soon xxx

JoeinVegas said...

You didn't start out with unlimited texting? A coworker at the Sands got a limited text plan for his teen aged daughter. Wrong decision. Instead of $10 more for text the bill was $400 for overages. We figured that out to average one text per minute for every waking minute that month. Unless she also did it in her sleep, or typed faster. Wow

Gastronomy Gal said...

Oh- the phone bills . I remember that time in my life- my phone bills are still ridiculously high- I have to go on a $129 cap- that usually stops the problem- except when my sister is overseas! argh.