Sunday, April 15, 2012

Back to the grind...

Holidays are over and it's back to work tomorrow. I've spent the whole week at home. Doing not much of anything. I swear if MOTH hadn't forced me out to the shops I would have never left the house.

Up to the local shopping centre. For no particular reason I think. We meet up with the old folks. I don't know if I've named them. John, Stanley, Wombat and occasionally K and S, the daughters. Today we arrive at the shops around 9am and it's nearly lunch time before the group breaks up. K is there today and I laugh a lot as she gives MOTH a hard time.

MOTH and I get an invitation to the movies to watch Titanic 3D. I appreciate the invite, but alas I shall be back at work when they go. MOTH helps them sort out the timing of the screening they want to attend while I merrily chatter to Stanley. I have seen the movie once, and that once was enough. I'm not keen enough to sit through it again, let alone in 3D.

I have spent the week off and on doing a spot of weeding in the garden. Mostly trying to thin the ferns that are choking out the gazebo. I don't dig them out, but pull them out a couple at a time. The garden bin is full and I have to stop to wait for it to be emptied. That won't happen till the end of the week. I look about, but I can't really see where I've managed to make a dent. Luckily it's been raining off and on all week so the soil is softer than usual.

One of the posters on my rumpus room wall has decided to release it's moorings. I don't really care and haven't really endeavoured to pick it up. Too late for salvage now - Jerome found it and has chewed a hole in it. It would have served me right if it were one of the ones I really wanted.

Splurged a bit this week and grabbed a couple of dollars to get some dvds. On a Tuesday, and all dvds are only $1.95 to hire. Gotta love cheap Tuesdays. If I timed it right, Tuesdays could mean heaps of dvds and $5 pizzas for dinner. Sounds like a plan for the future. Shame MOTH doesn't like pizza.

So. Puss in Boots. Funny! There's some adult humour thrown in there as well. They're getting better at it - imagine Humpty Dumpty in a gold lame suit, no underwear and complaining of chaffing.

The Priest. Some sort of post apocalyptic or futuristic setting? I'm not certain. A faction of the Priesthood have killed all the vampires, blind animalistic things with no resemblance to humanity in any form. The Church has disbanded the warrior priests and insist that vampires no longer exist.

Xmen: First Class. The prologue to the other movies. Pretty much to formula but I enjoyed it and a great time waster.

Gran Torino. Wow. If you haven't seen this one, get and see it. Wow. I did cry. Quite a bit.

A visit from Zman today to hand back the modem. I had to bribe him with fresh scones, but he did arrive. He stayed for about three hours, just chatting. And eating scones with jam and cream. It was good to catch up.

Time to install the modem today. Uh oh. The computer recognises it. The lights on the modem that need to be flashing are flashing. But there is no internet connection. I can't figure out what is wrong. Diagnostics aren't picking up any problems. I send Zman a text to let him know and ask if he had changed any of the settings. And plug the old modem back in again. Zman phones back late in the afternoon and talks me through some diagnostic things. All it does is confirm it's not working. He thinks there might be a problem with the DNS setting. Riiiiight.

I think maybe MOTH might want to phone Telstra tomorrow to sort it out. We plug the old modem back in again. But it doesn't seem to work. MOTH is despondent. I switch off my computer. Later I switch it back on but Airport doesn't seem to want to pick up the network. I turn it off and back on again. Eventually it picks up and all is good. I tell MOTH that he can use my computer. He can't get his to recognise the modem. I go to look. Switch it on and it's there. It works fine. I can open the browser and connect. MOTH is much happier.

I convince him to cook dinner this evening. Steak on the bbq. It's lovely and I've done the dishes. Time to kick back with a bit of Poriot tonight I think.

3 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

so jealous of your lazy weeks. I really need a few days of doing nothing at all. I did the usual chores on the weekend but not much of anything else.

JoeinVegas said...

Steak on the barbie. lovely

sparklingmerlot said...

Arrrrgh. modem shit. hate hate hate!

Gran Torino is an amazing film. I saw it with middle son which always makes for interesting conversation as he is an editor/film buff/nerd.