Monday, April 02, 2012

Crazy days

Some days, it just seems like every fool and his dog is loose on the road. Someone did a 3 point turn, just below the crest of a hill near the lights this morning. We had red so that must have meant he was crossing against the green? Some drivers have no idea.

Not like this driving school. Obviously they have some idea. Mostly about what they might be capable of. I wish I had had the time to take a photo. "Dang Driving School". Has a nice ring, don't you think?

It's a bus day today. I'm early. Almost too early. I've decided that I have worked my full day and see if I can catch a bus slightly earlier than 3.50pm. Sure I can. 3.12pm. I ask permission to leave at 3.00pm and I wait at the bus stop to go into the city to catch my bus home. One of the GTs sees me and crosses the road. He has an appointment and tells me he will give me a lift. Don't argue! he says. Okay, if you insist! So I'm in the city and waiting for my bus. Along comes a likely young lad, headphones on, using his shoulders and arms popping and locking along to whatever tune he's got on the 'phones. Assuming of course they are plugged into something! I notice people are giving him plenty of room.

I'm driving to work and I'm in the 'office' stretch. I can't call it home really. The shuttle bus goes by and I'm distracted long enough to glance at it. Eyes back to the road as I come around the bend and ... holy cow! There's a pedestrian!! She's crossed just around the bend and her clothing makes her blend into the background a little. She's made to the the other lane before I'm anywhere near her but geez! That was a little too close for me.

I'm coming home and I've hit the long smooth stretch. Some of the roads are shocking, but not this piece. There's a fire and rescue field services van. A tall white one. It crosses to the lane in front of me and I think nothing of it. It transitions out of my lane to make a right turn and HOLY CRAP! The ute directly in front of it which I could not see AT ALL is at a complete stop! I'm soooo glad that I don't tailgate! I didn't realise how much of my vision that van actually blocked. Luckily I am able to slow down without screeching brakes but had I been any closer to the van it might have turned out so different!

Exciting week on the road, eh?

The office refurbishment is nearly done. Only the swipe access on the internal door to activate and the removalists to come shift our stuff back to our floor. And then it's finished. Oh wait. The conference room has to be set up again and a whiteboard or two hung.

Friday! I leave for the day and I'm heading to my car when a truck pulls up outside the gate. Think nothing of it and get into my car. And the truck pulls into the driveway. It's collecting the skip and now I'm stuck till that's done and he leaves. That gate is one vehicle only access. Sigh.

Dang! I've missed the show I wanted to watch. I had been gearing up for it all month but at the last minute, completely forgot and watched Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Luckily for me, Foxtel replays things at regular intervals on most channels so I grab the guide and note it's on again the next morning. I settle in to watch Lynda LaPlante's Above Suspicion: The Red Dahlia. And I notice that all through this story line, the coppers and others all claim to have never heard of the Black Dahlia. Not playing this one for real, are they!

It's a quiet day today. It usually is, but I feel a little restless. I pace up the hall to talk to MOTH a few times. I make him lunch. I lean over the bathtub to open the window a little so Jerome can look out. I find myself clambering over the sides of the tub to pull the lace curtain down for a good soaking. The soaking water goes black quickly. Is it really that long since I washed curtains?

Curtains soak overnight and I put them through a wash cycle the next day. I put out some birdseed. MOTH goes up the street to purchase some things to have with dinner tonight. It's left over roast pork, sliced inch thick and charred on the bbq. MOTH asks me to make a butterscotch sponge pudding, a packet mix he bought a couple of shops ago. Go on, he says, it's a chance to give the mixer a go. Due to some trouble he has had with unauthorised transactions against his debit card his has been deactivated and I give him mine to purchase the goods. He comes back, shaking his head. He's only bought half the things he wanted. It didn't work. I was so embarrassed. You'll have to call the bank he says. It said 'contact bank'. Suddenly I'm hand to mouth. I've just realised I've given him the wrong PIN! No wonder it didn't work. Uh oh.

Luckily the card is only locked out for 24 hours.

Oh, my week has been so exciting!

3 comments:

sparklingmerlot said...

Your roads sound as bad as ours. Good you're not a tailgater - so dangerous and most people don't even realise they're driving too close.

Love the PIN story. :)

Chris H said...

Whoops about the card.
I've done the same thing though.

Gastronomy Gal said...

Not having too much luck with the cards then! At least he didn't put into a card machine for it to be swallowed.