Friday, May 18, 2012

I've been so busy!

I can't believe that it's been two weeks since I last updated! And I've not even kept notes...

It's the lead up to the conference. The last week and I've been running around like a chook with my head cut off. Last minute things like hoping some of the collateral arrives at the office before then!

It does, and I have made arrangements for it to be virus scanned before distribution. Yes, it's a USB stick. The sponsor has asked they all be scanned but I've managed to negotiate a higher than normal quota. I've tripled it. I have also managed to get two of the GTs to help with the task. I distribute the sticks and wait for them to come back to me for their final scan. There are 6 from each tray. And about 10 trays. This afternoon I ask Admin2 if she can help. Sure she can do that. I have one day to do it. It's the last day before we all leave for the Coast. I ask Admin2 for help. I'm sorry, she says. I can't, I'm busy.... (!)

My favourite GT sends and email. HE'S LEAVING! OH NOES! Now I think I am really going to have to work on finding another job. But I'm still close to my long service leave. Do I give that up or wait? I think I will wait a bit longer.

This week has been so rushed!

I've been enjoying myself a little more. C is finally trusting me to do more so I am being kept busy. Very busy.

One of the work projects has come to an end. That means no more tape changes. No more monthly report writing. And now that the conference has come to an end for the year, I have no idea what my duties will be. Perhaps I might not even have a job for long...

We've been told that for the gala dinner we will need to sit at a work table with named places. I hate that. Hate it a lot. I work with Admin2 and don't like her enough to spend time at the same table. Closer to time, we are given the option of seating ourselves. I jump at the chance and send an email to say MOTH and I will 'free range'. Fave GT edits that to add a bracketed "like crazy chickens" and the jokes come flying. Complete with chicken suits with the GT's head.... Conference girl comments on it - the nonsense YOU started, she says.

Dinner will be provided for staff on Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights. Partners costs won't be covered but they are welcome to attend as well. I reply to say I won't attend any. The girl employed by us to help with conference stuff is somewhat stunned when I tell her 'none'. I tell her that MOTH is just as likely to say 'nah, too expensive', 'can't be arsed' etc. And he will. The venue is 5 star with 5 star prices. Think a 12 inch gourmet pizza for $30. We can drive to the nearest KFC and get something cheaper thanks!

I've collected the work car and I think I'm set for the next week. The house sitter is arranged so Jerome won't go hungry. Saturday comes and off we go. I take MOTH with me, although this year work will not be covering any of his expenses outside of the conference social functions.

As I go to check in, C is there. She tells me she is about to call me and asks if we will be joining everyone else for dinner. It seems that work is required to pay for a certain number of people anyway so if that number don't turn up, he can take one of the paid meals. I check with MOTH. He says ok, so dinner tonight is taken care of. Hopefully for both of us.

We have been trying to use an app for the conference program and proceedings. It works on smart phones and devices so you don't need printed copies of the program for everyone. It got buggy and the vendor tells me it will be right when the Apple store release the update. I grit my teeth and soldier on. One of the Managers has been trying to use it and gets cranky. Hey! It's not my fault! I can't help it and I've asked questions... I didn't write the bloody thing! ... ... siiiigh. It works fine for a day then gets buggy again... This isn't going to be pretty.

The work room is set up and I go to keep working on the conference app. IT'S WORSE THAN BEFORE! I decide that I have to let C know now.... I've been talking to the vendor and although they are helpful, they aren't giving me much I can work with. One of the GTs has noticed a massive packet loss and not only is it occurring for my app, it's also the conference network in general. Panic stations everyone!

I decide to quit for the day. The GT is still working on things, and I miss C when she comes to see what is happening. They contact the vendor and apparently their data centre is at a complete stand still. Not helpful Jan!

I am working on Mother's Day. It's Sunday and my work day starts at 0745. It's the start of a long, busy and often boring week.

That night, as MOTH and I return from buying our dinner, I get news that Ma is in hospital... What am I going to do? I want to visit but I don't think I can. C tells me to do what I need but I decide that I can't do much at present and continue on.

No comments: