Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Time is aflying!

The conference is looming and it all seems to be going too fast! MOTH still wants to come with me but I think this year will be more expensive than the last. We were told partners get everything. And perhaps they do. Just not everything everything. I'm thinking I will have to fund his lunch on a few days instead of having it supplied.

The week started off well too.

Been so tired lately. I can't even bring myself to cook a decent meal. You know, with vegetables and all that. I guess MOTH could do it but it hasn't even occurred to me to ask. Tonight I decide on a premanufactured chicken schnitzel with a fried egg. I'm talking to MOTH and dishing the food onto the plates. The egg is not dead. It throws itself from the pan to the floor. MOTH smiles and takes pity on me, even 'keeping' it after I offer him mine. He 'reassures' me while eating that there are no gritty bits so all worked out fine. Sheesh.

I'm a little later this morning and the line of traffic to get under the bridge is taking its time. The usual assortment of motorcycles go past, lane splitting in an effort to get ahead. I hate that. It's dangerous. Suddenly I notice the scooter which has just gone past has two front wheels!

A conference meeting today and I think it's my turn to supply the snacks. Usually Bee does it. I get up early and make cheese scones. I think they are pretty good. None of them came home so I guess I wasn't the only one.

It's a bus day today. I'm staring out the window and plotting the bus's next move. I do that sometimes especially if I don't ride the bus very often. I don't know why. Left here, I think. The bus goes right. Oh. I must have got it wrong. A passenger in front calls out YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY! Nope, I was right. Now the driver is confused. So is her sidekick. I think they are learning a new route and the driver map seems to be marked wrong. She doesn't know how to get out of where she is; streets are really narrow here and there is no room for a bus to turn. One of the young passengers directs her down a side street and back across the traffic. We've effectively done a loop and are on our way again. I'm later than usual. But not too late.

I'm driving home and I can see red and blue flashing lights in the distance. Wonder what's going on there? I get closer and I see a police vehicle cross to the wrong side of the street. The lights are still flashing. I have enough time to notice that it has parked in front of an ambulance. Behind the ambulance is the paramedic. Parked on the footpath is another police car. Police get out of the car just parked and run toward the back of the unit complex. I can't see anything from the road. A little further down, a motorcycle policeman is headed that way with lights and sirens.

There's nothing on the news bulletins later that night that could have clued me in. *sigh. only time i'm actually interested in something and all is quiet*

Finally home for the weekend. That is, it's Friday and I'm finished work. MOTH has had some work done on his teeth yesterday and his mouth is still a little sore tonight. A light easy tea; he's cooked his winter supply of pea and ham soup so we have that. I had chicken mince out and decide that we can have it for lunch tomorrow. But I cook them up later that night and we snack on them. Miss Fisher's Mysteries is on and I settle down to watch that. And read a book.

It's raining this morning. In fact, it rains all day. MOTH is cooking roast pork. I make an apple crumble for dessert and send him to the shops to collect cream or icecream to go with it. He gets both. Cadbury caramello icecream in fact. MOTH comments that he hopes the crumble topping cooks through. The last few times I've made it, it browns on top but is still floury down near the apples. It's done this for as long as I can remember. I turn the heat up a little. Perhaps that will help? Time passes. OOPS! I can smell something crisping when it shouldn't be. I rush back to the crumble. I forgot I had turned the temp up. It's beginning to blacken on top, just. Juice from the apples has bubbled up and begun to caramelise in places, burn in others. And when I dish up, it's STILL floury underneath. *just can't win* I tell MOTH that maybe I won't bother to cook it anymore. He disagrees. The pork is amazing, the crackling perfect and dessert is accompanied by a chilled glass of wine. Marvellous.

Not raining so much today. I wander out and while outside I decide to pull some weeds while the ground is soft. I grab a handful of ferns. Ugh! It's tough. I don't have a garden fork. I keep tugging. Eventually it comes out but I've probably wrenched my shoulder from its socket. Well, not quite.

So much to choose from lately. Do I play WoW? Do I facebook? Do I watch telly? Do I read? Reading is winning the battle a little lately. It's that Song of Ice and Fire series. I've got to reread the first volumes before I can get to the new one, right?

3 comments:

Pearl said...

Oh, I stopped reading at "crackling".

I so want crackling now. Yum.

Pearl

Colleen Barnett said...

I had roast pork on the weekend, crackling and all. Yummo!

Busy week for you. I have a recipe for a much easier crumble using oats. It is a microwave recipe, and the top of usually crunchy. We all love it. With Dobby's fructose intolerance I don't make it much, but she's outgrowing that so it's starting to make its way back.

Butterfly Kissez said...

I am so in the mood for apple pie now or apple crumble :) Should lern to make it myself instead of buying Sara Lee's but too lazy lately!