Monday, March 25, 2013

The Poltergeists in my wall

Scared me nearly half to death. Well, ok, I exaggerate a little. Gave me a jolly good start though.

Some of the conference work is picking up a little. Now there are five of us in the team we will be having regular meetings to keep abreast of things. I like this - makes me feel much more included. At our first meeting I actually sounded like I was busy. I like that too.

I'm still exhausted but still no wiser as to the cause. The doctor's surgery haven't phoned me to make an appointment so I am assuming they don't have the results yet. MOTH and I were discussing and wondering if the constant lethargy might very well be tied to the depression rather than something else. I guess I might get more of a clue when I find out the results. Yeah, I know, not much of a clue now. No Joe, they didn't wake me up to put the CPAP machine on. They didn't wake me at all. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing.

This week Bestie contacts me to ask if I would like to go for coffee on Saturday. She's made contact with an old school friend. I check with MOTH to make sure it's not going to affect any plans he might have. Just a girl thing I tell him. Oh, ok. Luckily she's given me plenty of notice so I can budget for the bus fare and the coffee. A couple of days roll by and ... nothing. I'll wait and see what happens. If it doesn't go ahead I can use the money for something else.

Shopping night and there's a little left over to buy take away. We think we'll have doner kebab. It's "under new management". The woman behind the counter is not a native English speaker and somehow I end up with yoghurt and garlic sauce AND tahini. Makes for an interesting combination, but not one I'd necessarily like to repeat. Disappointing isn't it when a place you love changes hands and it's just not the same...

Friday comes around and still nothing. Ah well. Suddenly Bestie lets me know that it's all on, the friend had forgotten to get back to her. We've arranged to meet at a coffee shop in the city. It's a nice looking little place although I haven't been there before.

Saturday morning for something to do I join MOTH with the Club. I haven't seen them for a while. Wombat is there, surprising me by occasionally laughing, not surprising me by complaining about stuff. John makes me laugh by deliberately bringing up a topic we know will generate complaints. I play a game on the phone while keeping an ear attuned to their conversation. I'm feeling cheeky so I give Stan a hard time when he asks me a question about a book and author he can't remember the name of but he's sure I will know. I did. We finish up there about 10:30am and buy some supplies for dinner.

It's nearly time to head out for the bus. Got all my kit ready. Yup, I'm a girl so I need to take lots of stuff. No. Not really. The less I have to carry the better I like it. Alas, the new phone doesn't fit my "wallet" so I have to find something else. I have a little tiny handbag and I can just squeeze the phone in there. Along with my bus pass (go card), my licence, and the money. All set. I'll have to tuck my glasses somewhere else. The weather is a stinker, hot and humid. Sure do pick the good days to go out! I jump on the bus and swipe my card. It doesn't register. What? I look. I've just tried to swipe my licence. *rolls eyes* The man sitting in the front bus seat calls out "Wrong one girl" and laughs his fool head off.... yeah, great.

I'm there first. But not for long. We look for the long lost one, not sure if she will even look the same. She does. It's great to catch up, we think it's probably been about twenty years and there's plenty to talk about. No photo of us, but I have one of the view from my spot at the table. There's deck chairs set up under the trees and we wonder if they are there for anyone to use. Nifty, hey...

The afternoon passes quickly and we vow it will become a regular thing.

It's hot again today. I'm too hot to do much. The air is still and humid. The fan is on full blast and if I sit on the couch I can get a good breeze. If I sit at the desk, it's too far away to pick up much. How can I fix that? I don't want to run the airconditioner. Evening sets in, the breeze picks up. The sky darkens and I can hear a rumble or two. Lightening flashes and the storm arrives. It's crackling enough that I turn off the tv at the wall. The computer too. Maybe now will be a good time to move things around? I get MOTH to help. I guess it's even a good chance to vacuum the carpet. A little. It's really too hot for this and I've managed to give myself a headache. The storm is over and the air is cooler. I don't think that will last. Finally the room is finished. Looks a bit odd, but at least I can get some air circulating around the desk...

The tv is out of frame to the right.

Showered and in bed, sliding into the sweet oblivion of sleep. Thump! Bang! Not far above my head. Whoa! I'm awake now! My heart is still going pitty pat but no other noise ensues. You'd think that if something inside the wall fell *and that's what it sounded like, some furry body losing it's balance* there would be some other noise, wouldn't there. Scratching? Scrabbling? No, all is silent.... What sort of Things are living in my wall!?

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Possums! Hopefully...

Glad you enjoyed the catch up. I love those. Don't get to do it often. And soon will be doing it even less.

I like the new set up of the rumpus room, but doesn't the light shine on the Mac screen now? Still, looks good!

JoeinVegas said...

The sleep study is done several ways. First, if you're OK there is no need for more. Second, the doctor has to request CPAP if the sleep shows it might help, then you get it second half the night. If the doctor just requested test then it's just test. If the tests say CPAP might help then it's another night there with the CPAP on, and a computer trying different pressure combinations to find what works best for you. (I've been to enough tests)