Monday, October 28, 2013

Think I Blinked...

And a week went by. It seems it did. Now how did that happen? Not that I was busy, or doing anything exciting. Or much of anything really. It just seems to have ... happened.

I was on holidays and doing not much of anything except catching up with some washing. I would have said housework, but I didn't seem to have mustered up that much enthusiasm.

Oh, and I applied for a loan. To consolidate debts. I thought I would try and see if I could live without a credit card. I've had one for years so the challenge is on. I applied online and it took almost a week for the approval to come through. As the ad says, why does it take them days... I filled out the online application. Two days later they contacted me for the supporting documentation. I sent it same day. The next day they tell me I've sent the wrong one. I send the right one. Two days later they tell me it is conditionally approved. But I have to wait for it to be processed before I find out if I have the loan. Saturday they finally call me to say I have the loan. And the appointment to sign the paperwork at the bank is scheduled for the next day. Wait, isn't that Sunday. Yep, that's right. They trade on Sunday.

I open an account at the bank and the money is in there straight away.

I've managed to pay funds onto one card, but have forgotten to get a payout figure *d'oh!* so I will have to wait for the end of the billing period to get the final payout.

I've not seen my regular GP as she is on leave. I work out with another that I can go back to work full time. I think I can manage it although my level of enthusiasm is way low. Except the first day. That's still a five hour day so we can work out what jobs I need to be doing when I'm back full time.

We've seen interesting looking vehicles on the web. I've even looked on eBay. I found one I liked but it was interstate. That's not a problem, I am sure I can work out how to get it up here. But no go. The listing ends, is relisted but comes down again within 24 hours. MOTH pokes about on Gumtree. He finds some to look at. And we do. There's one he likes the look of at a wholesaler a couple of suburbs over. We head out for a look. There's a small BMW hatch with red leather seats. In reality, it's not as great as it looked on the web. The red leather of the seats is actually more of a darker red brown. The price is right though. The passenger window is broken out. The dealer assures me it will be replaced before we pick up the vehicle. I sit in the driver's seat. Nope, this is not the car for me. I buy my cars this way. I sit in the driver's seat. The car must "talk" to me. There's another car nearby that takes my fancy. It's unlocked. MOTH looks at it. He likes it. It's unregistered. I sit in the driver's seat and yes, this is the car. The seats wraps itself around me and welcomes me. Everything feels right. The interior is in very good condition considering. It's a 2000 model BMW 318i. But the price is $1000 more than I want to pay.

We wander around the lot and look at other vehicles. There are some that catch our attention but they are all out of my price range. I expected this. You can't get a lot for the price I have in mind. We discuss it further and decide that to heck with it. We shake hands with the dealer and I walk away after having signed the papers with a BMW to pay for and make arrangements to pick up. It's in "as is where is" condition so I have to look after the transport, roadworthy, and registration myself.

I get an email unexpectedly. Well, I guess I'm expecting it as it should be a reply to an online application I've submitted a while ago. I open it and am shocked. It's FANTASTIC news. I've been accepted as a volunteer for Supanova2013. A pop culture expo. Induction is this coming weekend. The geek in me is sooooo excited!

MOTH has spent the week running about finalising car paperwork, getting roadworthy/safety certificate, CTP insurance, registration papers. Isn't he marvelous?? He has a bad experience at the registration office with a very rude clerk. He didn't have the money to make the payment for the registration as it was higher than expected. And guess what. I've cancelled the credit card so we can't transfer any money. Oh no! MOTH tells me later that the clerk just walked away from the booth and left him there. He didn't know what to do and she had kept the paperwork with her.

I went with him the next morning. He's on edge and short tempered, not liking having to deal with government departments. We grab the ticket from the machine and are called to the counter straight away. Today's clerk goes through the paperwork and asks where the original RWC is. MOTH explains it was taken the day before and not returned. The clerk goes to find it and a short time later and about $450 later we walk out with the plates.

We spend time that night playing with all the buttons in the cabin. Oh dear. No AUX jack in the CD player. Darn. I can't connect my phone for my music. But whatever, I'll get by. I take the car to work the next morning. DAMN! The transmission light is on. I'm not sure what to do about this.

The induction is today. I'm SO NERVOUS! It's been a long time since I've stepped outside my comfort zone to put myself voluntarily in a room full of strangers. It's an interesting morning though and I wait for more information about what I'll be doing that weekend. I've been allocated to a team, but there is a chance this may change. I'm expecting to be keeping people in lines.

Whatever they put me on, it's going to be a full on weekend! I'll be totally exzzzzzzzz......

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

why what was the go with the transmission light? hard to see that it passed roadworthy with the light on, so it must be something that's just happened. I hope it's all working out well for you and you can go play with it soon xx

PS what's happening with the old bird?

Chris H said...

I hope your new car isn't sick!
Enjoy your weekend.