Monday, November 11, 2013

Now I know I have feet.

The last two weeks have gone quickly. Too quickly. I remember on a Tuesday that I haven't updated then, bam, it's Friday again and I've still not done anything. I think I've made a big decision, and had a really great time as well.

Right now I'm wrestling with a dilemma. I ordered an eyeshadow from Avon. They've substituted a different one. It's twice the price of the one I paid for. But of all the ones they used for substitution, it's the one duo in the palette range I won't wear. It's blue. Grey blues, but still blue. Do I send it back for a refund or not? Ah, first world problems!

I make it to induction. There is not a single person I know there. I'm feeling a little strange and I sit down the back. They introduce themselves then break up into teams. I'm in the Guest Management team so we head out of the room to sit. We are the largest group as our area covers quite a bit. There's a small chat and then we break into smaller groups to get to know each other. Then it's back into the big room for the rest of the session which covers quite a few topics. Of course, there are the usual people who ask the weird and the dumb questions. I sign the disclosures and other stuff about understanding health and safety and off I go. The volunteering session looks to be a lot of hard work! I wonder how I'll go?

I've been given THE LIST at work with all my tasks and my expected deadlines. My super has stressed that all deadlines have to be met. I've missed one of them so far, but I wasn't particularly worried. It was something small, due on Friday which I handed over on Monday. I had a quick question for another manager but I didn't expect him to want to call a "committee meeting" before he gave me the answer. Ah well. So, I'm working to my deadlines so "I can learn to use my initiative and judgement". I've been working on reports. I need to complete about 70 of them before end of this week. A tough call but I had to wait for others to review the template and first couple of reports. I wasn't going to prepare a heap of them just so I could go back and change them! I do have about 20 of them prepared now, but this time they've let me review them myself and send them out without further review. Amazing!

It's Friday night and I have to see if I can get across to the Valley to meet Nicole for a briefing. It's nearly 6pm when I get there. There are other volunteers sitting around and a small woman standing with them. Her name is Jade. I'm left with her while we wait for Nicole. Eventually we find her. She's a little brusque and checks to see if we are people she's been emailing. Apparently there is no briefing tonight, it's too late. She sends us back to Jade. More waiting about and eventually we find out that I'm on line control, and marked as a "cover". The cover is the person who 'cover's the other's lines when they go to break. I have four lines to cover. Eve is a spare. We're told our call up is at 8am on Saturday. Right. Till then, then.

8am Saturday and I'm ready for briefing. There are some of us gathered around. Most of the table, line, and barrier set up is done. Jade does a roll call and half of those who are supposed to turn up aren't there yet. She tells us to organise ourselves into small groups. There are a couple of younger ones standing near me and they look like they know each other very well. I said well I'm supposed to be a cover and they jump to my side. Ok, that's our group. Briona knows where she wants to be and we head off for those lines. Jade takes Beau and Kirsty away and I get a line to myself. I'm line control for Todd Lasance. Whoo. Another girl joins us to look after the line next to me. She seems a little hopeless and unprofessional. She sits on the floor when she's not supposed to. She doesn't look as tidy as she could. She spends all her time on the phone. Not good.

I'm on my feet all day. Jade drops by occasionally to see if we have breaks covered and what we are doing. We're fine. We call her the ninja because she appears when least expected. And with no fanfare. It's hard work but I'm enjoying myself. It's a great line to begin on as it's not terribly busy and I have time to figure out what's expected of me. I'm checking to make sure no one takes photos, and everyone has a token to get the signature *no freebies!*. I need to liaise with his PA to make sure that I'm ready to fetch anything they might need. His PA seems very efficient.

I've forgotten my phone today. And I have to contact MOTH to come collect me. I have notes, but no change for the phone. Hmmm. I'm so tired I don't figure out the solution till I'm halfway home. Hopefully my end station has a vending machine!

Home for a soak, and I crash to bed about 9.30pm. It's not a good night and MOTH wakes me in the spare bedroom at 6.20am. We need to leave at 7am for an 8am call time. Again. I know what to expect this time. Or thought I did. This time we have a full and proper briefing. I notice the hopeless girl has missed the briefing. It seems the PA on the line she was minding put in a formal complaint. There's a chance she might be moved. She moves briefly to the merch store and is back again at 10.30am. Not long after she says I've been told I have to go. We don't know what she's meaning but she says she was told to just go so off she's going. Briona and I look at each other. And I have two lines to mind. I'm not worried. I'm having a blast. My feet are not, but I am.

Our boys are all from Spartacus. Liam McIntyre, Todd Lasance, Christian Antidormi. Only the three best looking blokes on the entire guest panel. Ok, so Joe Flanagan, Sean Maher, and Dominic Monaghan are easy on the eye too!

The day ends, the volunteers pack up and fall. I head down to HQ for a snack and to sign out. Jade is there and thanks me for my help. She also tells me I was awesome because I could self manage. The lass looking after the sign outs tells me they don't often get that. I'm very very happy. Confidence back and I know it's definitely not me then!

MOTH collects me from the station. He's slumming it because he has the bluebird. He's walked out of the house and forgotten to fetch the BMW key from my desk. My feet are sore and swollen. I can barely walk. Luckily I thought to take tomorrow off work so I can recover! We'll see how we go....

4 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

so you got the transmission fixed then?

I'm glad you realised it wasn't you. I could have told you that. and you sure deserved to do something or yourself, that gave you a bit of a boost. Onya, chick xx

Chris H said...

I would send the eyeshadow back!

JoeinVegas said...

Glad that the good balances the bad - hope the job becomes easy.
Yes, send the eyeshadow back, why pay for something you would not use?

Butterfly Kissez said...

*Sigh* I love Spartacus...would have killed to have been there lol...might have to look into doing something like that since it's what I do as part of my real job as well :)