Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Which day is which??

Sometimes it's difficult to tell which day is which. Or even the date...

John has gone into hospital again. Things still aren't good after his major fall. I think I may have mentioned it when he did it. He fell while getting up and didn't know he'd done any damage until his daughter arrived to take him to the shops and he was bleeding. It seems that there may be some residual damage from a blow to the head. He has difficulty with his memory now along with some pain in his hip and knee. Apparently he still has falls and now uses a wheeled walking frame. This worries the rest of the Club and scares the heck out of Special K. He will be moving in with her when he's discharged from hospital. We wish him a speedy recovery.

I wanted a new mouse for the laptop. I searched the gaming shops online but only the outlet on the Coast had it in stock. I decide that we would take a day trip down and have a look. It was hot. The air conditioning in the car is not working. While we toured around the shops we were stopped by a seller for a holiday group. Please scratch these cards and see if you have won anything. MOTH scratched but nothing, I scratched and uncovered a match of 3 symbols. Darn. I have won one of three prizes but I have to attend a sales seminar in order to claim the prize. Damn that curious me. It won out.

The seminar is scheduled for Friday. I didn't want to go but when we turned up at least the office was air conditioned. The sales talk was on an individual basis. It ended up taking 2 hours and we turned it down. It's a holiday club. Membership is very expensive at $90 a week for the top of the range lifetime package. I really liked the idea of the product but I would have to really use it hard to get the value. It works on a points basis and you use the points to buy your holiday accommodation. For instance 7 nights in a domestic 5 star accommodation would end up costing $511 for the week.

But I have to sit through this to find out I've won 7 nights accommodation for $199 in Australia, Indonesia, or Thailand. I've opted for the Australian locations. Just have to make a choice now. I can upgrade from studio to 2 bedrooms apartments for an extra $100.

On the spur of the moment we decide to have lunch out and see a movie. We choose Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. Froggy has given us a movie card voucher for the cinema. I check the terms and conditions and it doesn't list any restrictions. I use to to prebook a Gold Class screening. We end up having lunch at the local then off to the movies. Parking looks like it's going to be rough, so many cars! We find a spot eventually. We order a side of parmesan chips and a classic sundae to be delivered during the movie. Yes. MOTH eats most of the chips, I eat most of the sundae. It's big enough to share but I still manage most of it. Yeah.

Ma and Pa have sold the house and chosen a unit. They are in the process of packing now. Although the new owners have purchased the lounge, sofa, and dining setting there is still much to pack up. The new abode is much smaller and a lot of their stuff won't fit. Apparently Pa is having trouble throwing things away. I think he must have jackdaw genes spliced in there somewhere. I have managed to get the triple door bookcase but how I'm going to transport it is a toughie. Maybe I should have just let the new owner purchase it as she wished. Ma does not agree!

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

That holiday club is based on the same principal as Accor, but with Accor there are no out of pockets for a stay. For example, we stayed a week at St Moritz in Queenstown, NZ, for free, and a week at Puka Park resort Coramandel Peninsula, NZ, for free. But, very expensive (we joined 2005 or 2006 from memory) and are still paying it off. Almost finished though. It does weekend packages too, but we never seemed to get around to it because we have the caravan. But could be useful for weekends in the city here. Definitely for the high flyers though. One positive is that we can will it to Dobby, and when she is a bit more independent she'll use it a lot I think, specially for weekends in the city with her friends!

Chris H said...

We got sucked into attending a 'seminar' on buying a Time Share Holiday too years ago.
We had no intention of buying one, it was way too expensive. We 'won' a set of cheap suitcases.
Wasn't impressed by any of it.
Glad you actually got something worthwhile out of sitting through the seminar.
Lucky you, a three door bookcase sounds lovely.
I hope your folks fit into their new home.