Monday, June 22, 2015

Advice anyone??

Darn. My glasses need cleaning. But there is nothing I can seem to be able to do to get them clean. I don't know what the problem is, I have the spray and a cloth. But they won't clean. I'm at my wits end. Not that that takes much these days.

Elder has returned home. From the way she speaks I'm not sure how things went with Burrich. He's desperately in need of help as well but won't see the doctor. Why do these kids do that to themselves?

She's been for her review an is back on medication. It's only been a couple of days and she's not feeling well. I'm hoping that the meds and being here will help her state of mind. She doesn't like being on the medication but really it's a good place to start. She's not been able to manage by herself so now is the time for intervention.

And here's the crunch. I'm at the end of my tether where Niece's behaviour goes. Well, with boys. Despite being told many, many times by many different people she still persists in inappropriate behaviour. Flirting. Kissing. Telling everyone that she loves so and so. I think I mentioned in a previous post that she kissed a boy at work. I received an email from her teacher today letting me know that her behaviour still persists. She got hold of another student's iPad and recorded a message on it saying she loves Patrick and is going to marry him *STILL!* and something about still liking the boy at work. I've tried to point out to her that this is not on. But she just won't get it. The teacher in charge of the student who owned the iPad hauled her over the coals about it today.

Niece's teacher is worried. I've tried to point out to Niece that ALL THE ADULTS she has contact with have tried to tell her this behaviour is not on. All three of the support workers she's had, me, her teacher, her teacher aide, the other teacher today. AND SHE JUST DOESN'T GET IT.

I've even told her that the way she goes on, it's not if she'll get raped, but when. I've even toyed with the idea of making her watch Jodie Foster's scene from The Accused to show her how inappropriate behaviour can get her into trouble. Her teacher and I are both at a loss as to how to curb this. Anyone got any ideas???

PS Any ideas how to get my glasses clean?

4 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Have you tried vinegar on the glasses? White vinegar. Or, run them under warm water, add a drop of dish washing liquid on each lens and rub on both sides gently. Then rinse with warm water.

Not sure what to do about Niece. It all stems from, and I'm sorry to go all psychobabble on you, Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Humans several layers of needs in order of importance. Sex drive is one of the first, along with food, shelter and clothing. It's a natural urge that needs to be sated. Her behaviour, while socially unacceptable, is a reflection of an unfulfilled need.

While most people are able to understand what is socially acceptable and what isn't, a lot of kids like her are just acting on urges (hence the people you often see playing with themselves obsessively). I would suggest speaking to her doctor about the problem. He may be able to offer a medical solution which will help dampen the urges, or send her to a psychologist who can recommend ways of dealing them.

Colleen Barnett said...

Oh, and hugs for Elder too. Hopefully the down time away from the stress will help her out.

Chris H said...

No idea about the glasses.

AS for your niece... sorry! She is at THAT age, and nothing any ADULT tells her will make a bit of difference. WE/ADULTS just 'don't get it' as far as teenagers are concerned.
You could take her to the Doctor, but I doubt that will make an iota of difference to her. She may have to learn the hard way?

Try to limit the opportunities for her to get into trouble (what we are doing with Brylee), and if you think she is seriously in danger of being taken advantage of sexually, or even if she just decides to 'do it'... get her on the pill. It may sound like condoning what she wants to do, but it's always better to cover the bases, you DON'T want your niece to end up pregnant.

Chris H said...

Mother of 4 daughters, been there, done that! The 4 sons were much easier.