Monday, March 12, 2007

Living with a Teenage Drama Queen

Ok, I give up. I'm living with a Drama Queen. Well, I always knew that, but last night it was driven home. In a big way.

The Teen arrived home from work. Sometimes she's chipper. Sometimes not. Last night, definitely not. In fact, she came through the door. Crying hard. And early. OMG! What happened?! Visions of lost job swirling through my head. But no, that would have made her happy.

Straight round to the kitchen, crying and yelling. Dancing about, ordering and yelling. Which gets my back up quick smart. When she finally calmed a little, but still crying, I found out the reason why. She was suffering hot water scalding. Both hands, wrists and forearms.

The worst part is the tale she tells from the employer. Who told her to run her hands under the cold tap. And did nothing else. Fair enough, MOTH was there to pick her up. The least would have been a suggestion for him to take her to the hospital and let them know what was happening. I didn't ask his side of the story so for all I know, it could have been suggested. There seemed to be some disagreement 'tween MOTH and the Teen about what an ambulance could have offered and the ambo station being dark.

At any rate, she commenced with the hopping up and down, panic and demands. Still crying of course. Now, having done similar myself, I know how much it can hurt. Mind, she could have won an Oscar for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Eventually I had to ask her what her last slave died from.

Eventually things calmed back down though and she said "mum, I've never experienced pain like it". Nor should she. She's only 14 .....

Ah, the perils of living with a Teenage Drama Queen.......

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

Went through something similar recently with Jr Her, who burned 4 fingers testing whether a hotplate was hot...it was. One would have thought she had cut a limb off! But lots of ice later she survived. Mind you, did hurt for many hours and only a good dose of Neurofen to help sleep calmed her.