Monday, November 10, 2008

My fish is upside down. Which has nothing to do with this post, really.

It's true. My fish sleeps upside down. Sometimes. Or he lies on his side. I've just been watching...

What a week it has been. Or has it? I really can't remember much beyond Friday. Which is probably the important day anyway. But let me cast back into the distant mists of the beginning of the week to see if there was anything worth remembering...

...............

Nope, I don't think there was. As I remember it, the week progressed pretty normally. I woke up every morning, went to work each day, bored myself silly each day, came home each day, watched telly or read a book each day, played with my children......

Wait! I seem to recall a water fight. Was that this week? Or another? I don't remember that much, I just remember that I think I lost that fight, and ended up quite soggy. Waterlogged even. But only in patches.

Anyway, another of my 'children' and her father were in town for the weekend. We arranged to head out for dinner. Actually, there had been a few of us arranging it over the course of the week. It was eventually decided that we would dine at a little place called the Three Monkeys in West End.

There were Alm and her father, MOTH, Sunny and another of my varied 'children'. Judah was working. The Teen wanted to come, but Wogboy would not arrive in time, so she opted to stay home.

We arrived early because they don't take bookings on Friday and Saturday nights. I couldn't quite follow that myself, and decided that maybe it's because it's first in best dressed for the tables and you don't get to hang around keeping the table for FOREVER? Like I've seen in some places.

At any rate, the place is amazing. It's very small and cozy, and built much like a rabbit warren. It appears to be an old converted house, the rooms are very small, dark panelling and rough timber, there are persian carpets on the floor and occasionally on the walls; posters and other kitschy stuff abounds. The menu is on the wall behind the counter where you order; you take your number and find a table. We chose outdoors. The drinks arrived first, followed shortly after by the meals. I had ordered nachos - the 'working' nachos according to the accented waitress. I couldn't work out what that was. It was just nachos with avocado AND beans. MOTH ate a chicken and mushroom filo.

The food was very good and the kids kept me in stitches. Their volume was rather loud and some of the topics would make your hair curl. Both the older gentlemen (and I use that term loosely) shook their heads.

We finished our very delightful meals and sat and chatted for a while. We had chosen an outdoor table and the weather, although a little sticky, was lovely. The atmosphere was vibrant, with several other small tables scattered about; some under umbrellas, but all slightly below the level of the street. Sunny watched as one woman wandered past, reached over to an empty table and helped herself to unattended left over pizza.

We left the restaurant and wandered back toward the car. The path took us below some form of modern sculpture that looked like an amoeba, white and lit with coloured lights. It was decided that part of it looked like Sunny's anatomy, and Alm was inspired to burst into song. From a corner a completely different voice continued the chorus and we laughed. He then cheered us on saying Christmas was approaching. I think he was quite in his cups, but young enough not to look sleazy and tired. MOTH piped up from across the other side of the little square with a comment about Santa. The young chap asked who was saying Santa, and when MOTH stepped into view, exclaimed Oh yes, and you look like him too!

We parted, Alm and her dad back to their room, Sunny and the other lass across to the city to meet Judah. On the way home, I finally realised that the working nachos were nachos with the works! Not slow, me.

Saturday, Sunny had to work. A new employer and it was his first shift. They sent him to the warehouse, and told him it would only take about half hour to get there. But MOTH said it was near West Wynnum, and that would take much longer to get to! We decided that instead of doing two long trips, we would spend the day at Cleveland. I got Sunny out of bed at 4.30am for a 7.30am start. And when we were on our way, we discovered that the chap who had phoned ... was right. It was close to West Wynnum, but that's not near Cleveland! We had an hour to spare when we found the place, so decided to have breakfast at Hungry Jacks. I finally got my grilly chicken burger. I've only been craving one for ages. We dropped him off and spent the day at Carindale.

Sunny finished work and hour earlier, and asked if we could give a friend a lift home to Ashmore. So we did.

It was a great day, and I was happy to have done something different.

And Sunday? I spent till lunch time in my jammies. And did very little.

I'll add some photos later, once I get them uploaded. I have to do it from my phone, a slightly convoluted, painful process.

Oh look. The fish is alive after all......

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

i do like a good noisy outing, one which you will remember for quite some time. and I also remember Moth can be quite the shart wit!

Lucky you. xx