Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Conferencing

Soooo. I'm sitting at the booth at the conference. Yes. I'm a booth babe. Booth bitch as some would have it. Since I need to be looking after the booth, I haven't had a chance to see any of the presentations, even though we've been taking turns.

We have it scheduled so that we spend either the morning or afternoon minding the booth. It works well, except that I usually find something else to do instead of seeing talks. I am working on travel stuff, oddly enough.

The last week has been interesting. I think I have a couple of notes here somewhere......

Now, did this happen last week? Or the week before? It was a Tuesday. I was travelling on the bus as usual, with my nose stuck in my DS. Not gaming, but reading. When suddenly, not far past the last stop in the suburb, the bus pulled off the road. The driver called out that he had no power, and tried to call back to base. Yep *nods* we had broken down. So we sat for a while, twiddling our thumbs.

People starting getting off, and me being the sheep I am, followed. We wandered back to the previous bus stop. Our bus service only runs 5 buses in the morning. The one that broke down was the second last service of the morning. We thought we would catch the next one. But it was full! He jammed as many of us on as he could, but that still left half a dozen of us standing at the stop. I thought I would catch the next 534 that came along, but we'd missed the 7.30 service, and the next wasn't due for an hour. I called MOTH to come collect me to take me to the next suburb to the bus interchange. He did, my Knight in Shining Armour.

And so I caught a totally different bus service to work. And so it went, on a later time table than usual, and a totally different route. But I still had my nose stuck in my DS. And as we pulled into a bus stop along the way, I happened to glance up. Just outside the shelter, and just inside the shelter near the bench, there rested two ceramic toilet pedastals. Or pans if you will. The bit you sit on. Right there, at the bus stop......

Soooo .... I'm sitting here at the booth. A couple of people have gone past and said good morning. Passed comment on the gala dinner last night. Or the skin on my laptop.

The conference proper begins on Monday, but I am required to set up for a workshop on Sunday. It starts around 9am and goes through till 5pm.

I arrived Saturday afternoon, having driven myself from home. Usually MOTH does this for me, but this year, he decided not to come. I thought the kids might enjoy taking his place for the week. Luckily he let me borrow Karen *the GPS* for the trip. I have never used her before. We programmed her to avoid the tolls, and she sent me right out through the back ways to join up with the motorway. Still, it was an educational experience.

Sunday I played watchdog on the door for a private function and watched the exhibition construction from afar.




Sunday night was the welcome reception. Do some of you see a familiar pattern? This time, I had Sunny along with me. He seemed to really enjoy himself. I hope he did.

Monday I did get a few comments, wondering who the young fellow was, the one with the impressive hair. One laughed at the thought of me grabbing a random off the street because I liked his hair.

Someone in one of the sponsor booths *think you can see it in one of the photos. the booth not the dog* brought in a dog to add some pizzaz to their stand. He was jet black ; the booth was red. He looked sort of like a large pug. It turned out he was a french bulldog. Cute.

Monday night was the welcome reception. The sponsors cocktail night. I didn't feel in a party mood, so didn't go down until it was half over. After the formal function had finished *9pm? is that the time? heavens it's late* some of us decided to head up to a GTs room for beer. While there, the 2IC turned up with a bottle of scotch. He shared it around in plastic cups. A very generous measure I might add. Neat. My mouth went numb. But I was feeling mellow by the time I finished.... *yawns* Hmmmm. Think I might wander off to bed.

*staggers out*

No comments: