Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hmmmm cupcakes!

They're yummy. Even if slightly overcooked.

That week has just flown so quickly. MOTH and I have discovered that it's hard to feed only two when you're used to feeding so many more. Even though I've cut the vege serves back, there is still too much! The house is quiet. And there isn't enough laundry to do a load a day.

Apart from slogging along to work every day, I've managed to do a bit of housework. Yes, I hear you cheering. Not too much though; don't want to ruin the record.

Saturday I had decided that I would finish cleaning the room that Jawsome had emptied. When MOTH took down a couple of things that had been put on the wall, he also took some paint. Silly. So he had to patch those. Before he paints them he asked me to wash the walls. Because they were filthy. This is one of the rooms that didn't get washed when we moved in.

So, I started. Good intentions and all that. I didn't finish. There were a couple of boxes of stuff belonging to the Elder still on the floor. I got the walls in the entry way washed. Behind the door and the side of the builtin wardrobe. That was it. Quittin time! MOTH occupied himself shifting boxes around in the garage. All the stuff we could identify as belonging to the Elder has been moved to high shelves. One half of the double bunks will be tossed, and the other has been put into the now spare room.

For lunch I decided to cook some mini quiches. They are a favourite of Jawsome's and I had some left over pastry. But oh! No recipe. I hope that the Elder still has it tucked away somewhere. I had to remember the ingredients and quantities by heart. Luckily the recipe is simple; I think I got it right. MOTH thought they were pretty good anyway. He ate most of them.

Sunday I looked at the yard. It's dying and the bindii is taking over. It really needs mowing. With the current water restrictions, you aren't allowed to water an established lawn. But I protest my lawn is not established. It's very patchy, with the soil gone hard from lack of water, what little grass there is turning brown, and weeds and ants taking over the bare patches. Soon I won't be able to use the clothes line without running the gauntlet of the flesh munching insects.

I scrubbed some more walls. I vacuumed some of the carpet in that room. I scrubbed my shower walls. Except the glass ones. I dunno why I didn't do those. Got distracted washing my hair I suppose.

I baked cupcakes. Just because I felt like it. Plain ones with mocha icing. The recipe is one I've picked off the interwebs. I like it, it's basic and easy. But I overcooked them slightly by about 5 mins and you can tell the difference. *note to self ... 20 mins next time!*

And come the afternoon, MOTH and I washed the car. He has a high pressure water hose which hasn't seen much use. Except Sunday afternoon. By the time we finished that, it was our water restriction nominated time to water the garden. Not the lawn mind! Thank heaven I have a high fence. I watered some of the lawn near the clothes line. Gotta give those ants a good drowning every so often or they get too complacent!

Sunday afternoon and evening, after sitting on the couch for a while, I discovered muscles I had forgotten about. I didn't think I'd be moving too well on Monday. Monday dawned and it was like I hadn't been doing any work at all.

Dangit! There went my stay at home immobile in bed day..... Hello work, here I come.

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

wow, your place sounds like heaven at the moment. all that space, all that peace and quiet. can i move in???

get a good ant powder next time you grocery shop. if we lifted the grass at our place it would be one big ant nest. they even take over the pot plants. but we put powder down and it quietens them down somewhat, but i always get eaten going to the clothes line.

and by the way, our grass is lovely, lush, green, and long! (just thought i'd throw that at ya! lol!)

bachr...hmmm bachr jealous of my lawn! haha!

Butterfly Kissez said...

Lawn?? You have a lawn?? I know what you mean about bindiis...our yard is full of the darn things with lots of patches of dry grass (if you can call it that) We are in Brisbane too...wish it would rain!

Ah and the solitude...I'm jealous of that lol...only have the son at home now but I reckon he'll never leave!

*ancenc* I feel really ancenc today!