Saturday, January 01, 2011

4 season in one day.

Week TWO

Sometime there, not sure if it was Sunday or Monday, I proposed to Elder that we take Sheldon. She wan't too enthusiastic at first but came around to my point of view. She promptly decided she would see if she could find alternate accommodation for Fred. Fred is boarding at mum's. She did. The Teen is taking him. She collected Fred that day.

On Monday we went to visit mum and I quizzed her about staying longer. If I did, could I bunk there? Mouse piped up, wondering why I didn't want to stay there. I thought you might have been a bit weary of entertaining very odd visitors. Nope, she says. So we are set to stay till Thursday.

We went out to dinner that night with the girls and their respective beaus. Wow. I don't think I've laughed that much for a very long time. The Teen and her boy Skywalker, the Elder and her boy Captain Camouflage. *cc for short* Yes, another. But this one seems to be more suited than Subs.

I'm not sure how CC got his name. It seems to be an in joke among the four of them.

Tuesday dawned overcast and guess what. Raining! Again. Still. Whatever.

Wednesday. The roads south are cut! Why the heck did we stay? We keep an eye on the news and the web to see what is happening. We still have an alternate route planned.

Thrusday dawned beautiful. The blue is breaking through, it's not raining and the breeze is blowing. The roads are still cut. BUT NOW OUR ALTERNATE ROUTE IS CUT TOO! Grrrr!

We consoled ourselves with a quick outing to the shops. While there I spied a familiar face, but I'm not able to put a name to her. Hello Froggy she says. Uh oh. I explain I'm Froggy's sibling. She's a little embarrassed, but not much. She chats for a bit and asks how Froggy is going. Swell, I say.

I've not been mistaken for Froggy for a very long time. *for those not in the know, froggy and i are siblings and often mistaken for twins when we were younger*

This afternoon MOTH checks the reports again. Our original route is opened again but expect delays. We decide to leave in the morning.

Friday we say goodbye to Mouse before she heads out to work. A quick tidy up then off to do the rounds of our kids to say hooroo. Then out to mum's to collect Rabbit and her kids. We are taking them for a holiday. They've been looking forward to it very much and didn't like having to wait longer.

Mum tried to talk me out of it but I stuck my fingers in my ears and went la la la alalalalalalalal. As you do.

We packed all in the car. Tight fit! The day was long, but they behaved themselves till we were nearly home. I guess #2 was getting a little antsy by then. All in all, I think they did well.

The roads home were clear. There was plenty of traffic going both ways but I think the road surface was about the same or even a little better than our trip up! It was possible to see where some of the river water had been with crushed reeds and mud covered leaves to halfway up the trees. Impressive in places. It didn't rain.

We're home earlier than we expected. Around 6pm.

So today it dawns full of promise .... of a rainy day. Gods but I hate the rain....

4 comments:

sparklingmerlot said...

Trying times, mate!

Glad you made it home OK. You have been having some nastay weather.

Here's to a great 2011 for all of us.

JoeinVegas said...

Been hearing about Australia's rains a lot on the radio, but I thought that was farther north than you. At least you aren't stuck out on a rock or something.

Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Captain camouflage hey? I like it.

It's because he's a ranga mum. And the seats at hungry's were red....



*ofulanc*
Russian for awful uncle?

-the elder (is too lazy to remember her login details but then again it IS 3 in the morning....)

Colleen Barnett said...

Twins? Pfffft! Rubbish! I'm tall and beautiful and you're not...

Oh wait, that was the dream I had the other night.... *sigh...*

I wonder who it was? *curious...*

*bruenger* german beer perhaps?