Monday, July 11, 2011

Argh! Hamster Dance is stuck in my head!

My week didn't actually start until Thursday. Well, I'm sure it started before then, but I don't recall.

The Elder decided to drop me off at work on Thursday morning. I had to be at work for a training course and Zman couldn't guarantee he could manage that early. Yes *nods* I start work after 9am. We take Team Shitbox out for a run. The music cranked loud and we bounce around in the car at the lights while we sing along. Loudly. Badly. Who cares. It starts the day well. Almost there and it time to stop for traffic control while they are working on the road.

We're dancing and singing and I glance out the window. A very good looking young traffic fella is smiling and waving at us. I wave back and Elder ducks her head. Yes, who would want to be in the same car as a maniac mumma? She told me later that on the way back, he waved again.

Friday I spent the morning packing. Elder and I were headed off for an adventure that evening and timing meant I would have to leave straight from work. I'm a skirts only kinda girl and we were anticipating it would be freeze-em-off cold. What to wear?! What to wear?!

The day lasted a loooooong time.

Finally time to finish work and run to get changed. You know, I never realised how difficult it is to get long trousers over sandshoes when you can't be bothered taking them off. It might have been quicker to actually remove the shoes, don said trakky dacks and put the shoes back on.

The traffic on the way to the Coast wasn't too heavy and we sang and 'danced' along to the music. Suddenly the stereo cut out. Uh oh. It switched back on and the process was repeated several times over the course of the song. Ummmm. We stopped dancing. It occurred again. Oh no! Team Shitbox has a short somewhere! Elder thinks it might be the cold air making contact with the broken antenna. After a time, she notices it happens each time she brakes. Worrying. The headlights flicker. We are quiet for the rest of the trip. We're meeting up with Sunny and Sparks and hope they've bought the car so we can grab a lift home if we need to.

We're at Screamworld! Yay!!! *many exclamation marks* It's Dreamworld at night, from 6.30pm to 10pm. The entry is packed but it's fine when we all stream through the gates and disperse. We go in and meet up with the boys shortly after. Uh oh. They've come in the PedoVan. *sparks's work van. it's big and white with no markings. there are no back seats*

I have an absolute blast. I spend my time holding gear and talking to Sunny while Sparks and Elder do the rides thing. A bit of dancing in the street near the DJs. I wasn't as cold as I thought I would be until we get to the Giant Drop. Standing and waiting there I could see our breath pluming white and the cold began to seep through the jacket and jumper.

The night culminated in a dazzling laser light display and we headed out to the car. Turn the key and ...... nothing. Dead. As a dodo. Elder ends up head down bottom up checking fuses. Nope, they seem ok. Pop the bonnet and ... one of the leads has come adrift from the battery terminal. Fix that up and Team Shitbox is good to go.

We're on the way home and I get a text message. The Teen is heading home with the person she came down with and suddenly the person wants extra money to travel home. Earlier on in the week the agreed amount for BOTH her and Skywalker was $50. Now the girl wants $110 from 3 of them. They have managed to pool resources and scraped together $70 for their share. I was so angry! To have the rules changed like that and be expected to pay extra! Considering the girls were coming this way anyway and offered the Teen, Skywalker and Sharps a lift.

AND I HAD TO TRAVEL ALL THE WAY OVER TO THE NORTHSIDE to drop them off and collect the GPS (Karen) that MOTH was nice enough to lend them. And the girl wouldn't negotiate the price down.

I realised later there was some facebooking going on about this. I read the comments and changed my opinion. It wasn't the girl being the pushy cow, it was her friend, chiding Teen for spending all her money on shoes that this person didn't think were necessary. Why did you spend all your money on shoes, since when are shoes more important than paying your way. You've just used her. That kind of thing.

So Saturday saw us heading out to the northside, about 45 minutes away. And no Karen. Sooo ... we got lost. I had printed out some Google directions. MOTH and I discussed which way we would go. I was confused because I couldn't envision what he was talking about and let it go.

It cost us a toll too because we decided to cut a little time and go through the tunnel.

We reached the section MOTH had been talking about and he took the turn off. No! That wasn't the one we needed! Sigh. The directions were now useless. Dammit man! We exchanged some words *as you do* and he continued to drive. He kept asking about the road we have to look for. I dunno! I tried to say that the road name I had was only viable from the motorway and I never looked at the map to see what was on the other side. *note to me. it's now 2 days later and i think there is actually a street directory in the car door... duh*

MOTH gave me his phone but the daylight was too bright for the screen and I couldn't see a thing. Didn't help that I didn't have my glasses with me. The Teen rescued us with her blackberry from the back seat.

We dropped them off, took back Karen and headed out again. And got lost. But this time we weren't trying to meet a deadline so it didn't matter. Saw plenty of nice houses and the beach. It would have been nice to stop but it was too windy.

That afternoon Elder and I veged in front of the telly meeting Rango and applauding Pascal from Tangled.

Sunday lunch time Elder and I walked Freddy up to the shops to get some groceries. The weather was lovely. Freddy introduced himself to a couple of Boys in Blue before we dropped the DVDs back. Elder took him around the market while I went to the supermarket. The rest of the day was spent playing WoW till dinner time.

And now it's Monday all over again. Sigh.

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

I wonder when kids will ever smarten up and realise:

1. They need a job so they can have money
2. They need to pay their way
3. They need to stop using people because their priorities are all screwed up.

Kids nowdays are used to people bending and bowing for them and they have forgotten how to fend for themselves. After all her talk about wanting a job, someone in my house is now reluctant to actually go put herself out there. I hope she doesn't think we're going to support her long term. She's in for a rude shock!

Glad you had a nice night out, too. That's probs what the short in the radio and lights were, yes?

Butterfly Kissez said...

Wish I'd known you needed directions Northside considering I live Northside! (Only place to live in Brisbane BTW! *cheeky grin*)