Monday, December 12, 2011

An Affair To Remember

Secret Santa at work this week. For the ITS Christmas party. I have no idea who the person I've been allocated is, but some research via the organiser revealed to me that he likes the old Hollywood classics. Managed to find one within the allocated budget too!

--------------------

I'm walking up the foot path and just about to enter my front yard when I spot a movement out of the corner of my eye. A brush turkey chick is in my front garden! Luckily it's only a chick - I'd hate to think of the damage an adult could do to my retaining wall. Here's one someone has prepared earlier....
I move slowly and follow it around the garden for a bit. I like to see what they are doing. Suddenly it takes off for the higher branches of the shrub. Oh yes, I'd forgotten they can fly. *these chicks are fully self sufficient from hatching and can fly within hours*

--------------------

I'm heading for the bus stop just down the road. The day is a little grey but hasn't reached drop dead humidity yet. As I pass beneath the shrub/tree/whatever that hangs over the path, I hear the wrens beautiful song. I pause but I can't see them. *easy to miss a patch of bright blue in among dark green right?* Now I know that summer is definitely here.

--------------------

I'm in the city and staring out the bus window at nothing in particular. I watch a tall, well shaped young man who seems to be talking to a youth walking at his side. They are dressed similarly, although the youth has sleeves on his white shirt and the man does not.

Suddenly they pause and the man lifts the youth to a standing position on his shoulders and they continue to walk down the street and cross the road!

--------------------

For something different I take the train. A woman gets on and the first thing I see is her trainers. The most amazing trainers I have ever seen! Purple! Yellow! Pink! Green! All washed together like a very shiny oil slick.

--------------------

There are bike lanes on some of the roads along the bus route. I think they should never have been put there. The road is narrow and the bus can barely fit by the parked cars. Usually the cyclists keep going while the bus slows to a crawl. There isn't any room to pass the cyclist as they continue their slow and sometimes wobbly way up the hill.

Today the cyclist pulls over and lets the bus past.

--------------------

The work Christmas party is this week. I need to get a present to contribute to the Secret Santa. I RSVP'd in the affirmative and would decide on the day how much time I had and if I would go. But hey! Secret Santa and now I feel obliged to attend.

So. ITS is a big place with over 200 employees. I have no idea who the chappie I have drawn is. The organiser is helpful and tells me some information. I'm not certain though how I can get something he might like on a budget of $5. I know they say these things are supposed to be fun but I really can't stand the thought of giving someone something cheap and of no use at all. Or getting one in return either.

I am looking to do a couple of things while out and I look to see if I can find a Sanity music store that's close. There are a couple and we decide to head for one of the shopping centres we've not been to for ages as it is likely to be less busy than the bigger ones. Parking at some of them can be a hassle this time of year!

No parking problems and in we go. Oooh, look, at BWS. Let's see if they have the apple cider I'm looking for. Yes! They do! I don't have to head out of our way to find the nominated supplier after all. We find Sanity and look about.

An Affair to Remember. Is that one of the blockbusters? Too bad, it should be. It has Carey Grant and Deborah Kerr in it. Good enough. And bonus? It's $4.99.

--------------------

The Teen is flying in tonight. It's been storming briefly but her plane is delayed. She's a bit worried, hoping it won't be grounded. They'll text when they board. And that works for me. MOTH has decided we'd leave at 7:15pm. I let him know the plane is delayed and they'll text when they board. Ok. And we leave at 7:15 anyway.

A forty minute or longer wait for us at the airport. I ask if he wants to go upstairs and get a drink. No. I'm a bit ansty but he's determined he doesn't want to go through security. Being a little familiar with the layout of the terminal, I know where I want to go but he wanders aimlessly *i detest aimless. unless it's me* around the Qantas end of the terminal. The only place we can wait is near the baggage carousels. We wait. The plane is still almost 15 minutes overdue. Luckily, Teen is paying for the parking. Again...

2 comments:

Chris H said...

How big does a brush turkey get if you are worried about your retaining wall!
I am sure I have seen those trainers... so colourful, but expensive! Like $220 here.

Colleen Barnett said...

You sure see some weird things on your daily sojourns into the city.

those little blue fairly wrens are lovely. We've been getting little Willy Wag Tails down here, and the starlings that always remind me of Mother.

Good about the gift. Dobby has just done two of them, and we had to spend $15 each!