Monday, December 05, 2011

Another week.

I cried this morning. On the bus. On the way to work.

As the bus pulled into the tunnel toward terminus, I could see the ambulance and police working desperately, administering CPR to a man lying on the ground. I could see him. I could see them working hard to revive him. I had to walk past a few minutes later to get to my next stop. They were still working.

I don't know this man. I don't know his family and yet ... it was devastating. Totally.

------------------

Harvey Norman VIP night. I RSVP'd for MOTH and invited myself as well. The crowds were rolling in by 6pm for the opening. A crush through the door and we were in. I steeled myself for much pushing and shoving and people just throwing goods at themselves but the crowd is well behaved.

MOTH and I weren't sure what we would get but it was fun just wandering around looking at things. The kitchen showroom is working as they prepare hot nibblies for the customers. The line is very long and although we are up the front it becomes a free for all when the food is released from the oven. I manage to grab two small portions of a sausage roll and usher ourselves from the crush.

MOTH has been looking for an electric shaver as normal razors and blades are way too expensive these days. He can get one or two shaves from each blade and at something like $20.00 for the razor and the same again for four blades the shaver might be better value!

We eventually find one. Originally priced at $108 and reduced to $58. Half hour wait in line and we're out.

--------------------

We start to think about the work Christmas lunch. I don't know where the tales of wild office parties come from but they certainly don't originate here. Not even for the whole department, let alone just our section.

No one has started coordinating it yet. Time is running out and venues will be thin on the ground at this time of year. No decision is made by the end of the week.

Possibly even the date is flexible. I'm not going to run it down; I'm quite happy to let it go this year. It means finding a way to get to the venue, chasing up stragglers, coordinating menus, fighting the whole split the bill thing. I really hate that whole idea. It seems to be becoming the norm and socially acceptable but I really really balk at subsidising someone else's lunch.

--------------------

There is a possibility the office may be moving. The building is scheduled to be refurbished and all occupants will need to find alternative accommodation. Our lot seems to be pushed to another old, mostly defunct campus. It's not close to civilisation and certainly not close to food. We go out for an inspection of the site. Admin2 and I seem to be alright with where we are slated to go within the new office surrounds.

GM won't let us have the staging area we want though. He's very stubborn about this. We have permission to use the boardroom for such things. However, we didn't seem to be able to get the idea across that although we only do these things once or twice a year, it takes several days to complete the job. How can we leave things all over the boardroom table for a week or two if people want to use it for a meeting? He flat refuses to back down.

--------------------

The Christmas function for the travel bookers is on this week. I've not been to any of their Christmas parties before. Admin2 isn't going and neither is my boss. I arrive in good time, get my name tag and my bright orange you're-allowed-in-here band. I'm greeted by one of the Campus Travel staff who settles me in with a glass of wine.

Eventually a face I know appears. She has a guest in tow. We sit down and begin with the glasses of wine and the chatting. It's raining tonight but the verandah is covered. Eventually some food comes out. It's become so busy that I am more or less trapped in my seat as everyone stands around me. I miss out on that tray of food. Eventually I have to go and track down a waitress to get something to eat. Great. Pad thai. A vegetarian meal. By the end of the evening I've managed about 5 glasses of wine but only two meals. Both pad thai.

There are prize draws, some smaller some larger. The guest wins a trip to New Zealand. Not bad for a tag along!

Too much wine and not enough food when you don't drink much isn't a great combination. I call MOTH to collect me. It's a long drive and I don't want to face an hour on the bus. He's totally wonderful and comes to my rescue. I have to stop off and get something to eat on the way home.

Straight home and tumble straight into bed.

MOTH tells me next day that he thought I did ok. I didn't look or act drunk. I'm sure I was. I was pretty impressed with myself for making it down the stairs to go find the car without falling over or staggering much.

--------------------

Christmas gift shopping today. I have finally decided what to get some of them so I have to research which shopping centre is going to have all three stores I need. The closest one is further away than we normally go. It's been a while since our last trip there so I'm looking forward to the change of scenery.

Everything is done, now I just have to wrap and post. That's the annoying part now that we are scattered to the four winds. And finding something nice that is small enough to post!

The budget is much leaner this year *long gone are the days when a $50 present for the kids was done without thought!* but I've managed to come in under.

Ma keeps pressing me to do vouchers. Vouchers are fine but I'd much rather buy a cheap present that looks expensive than let people know just how cheap I really am. Heh.

Really I MUST start earlier next year. Too bad if I have to let a bill slide for a while...

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

HN VIP nights are a fright, aren't they? Half an hour through the checkout is the, well, norm!

Sad about that fellow. Very sad.

You need to buy some stilts or wear brighter clothing so you don't get lost in the crowd when the meals come by. That way you won't keep missing out :-)

JoeinVegas said...

Holiday parties - sounds like you might have a few to go to. At least you avoided the boss for the one you mentioned.