Monday, July 23, 2012

Slightly more than usual

True. I do have slightly more than usual to blather on about. But sometimes I wonder if I should let this slip for a while. I don't know if anyone reads it anymore as most of the people who used to read it seem to have dropped off the blog-o-sphere...

I'm in the car, music playing as I wait for the lights to change. Traffic is horrendous this morning. Busier than I recall from previous mornings. I glance in the rear view mirror and something catches my eye. I look again. It's an ambulance. Coming down the same side of the road as I. Usually I seem them rushing past going the other direction. Uh oh. This will be interesting. Everyone is at a standstill waiting for the lights. All three lanes are full. I start to pull the car to the left. Luckily I have room. As I watch, cars move and open up a gap in the middle as the ambulance weaves in among the traffic. And then the cars close behind it. I can see the same thing happen all the way up the hill. It looks amazing.

Different day, homeward bound. I approach the big overpass roundabout and notice a car, about three in front of me, with a mattress tied to the roof racks. An image flashes into my mind of the mattress coming loose. Gee, I think, I hope I'm not behind it when that happens. I think no more about it watching the traffic and waiting for my turn.

I wasn't behind it. On the other side of the roundabout, just down the hill, the mattress AND THE ROOF RACKS are lying in the middle of the road. A 4WD has stopped in the middle of the lane, the driver of the car is running back to get the mattress. It's a busy spot and I don't stop although I slow to the the 4WD cross into my lane and out of the way. I wonder how the driver got the mattress home...?

MOTH is driving me to work and we are listening to the breakfast radio show. They've found a website where you can enter a famous name and find out if the person is alive or dead. They've called the segment Dead or Alive. I look at MOTH. How come, I say, no one has yet rung up and asked about Elvis?? MOTH laughs, and a minute later, someone has phoned to ask about Elvis. MOTH looks at me. You've got to stop doing that, he says. I'd already told him about the mattress.

Cruising my email and I see the newsletter from our local cinema. They are offering discounted tickets to see Prometheus. Sometimes I don't bother, other times I check to see if MOTH wants to go. Prometheus. I had seen a trailer and it looked like it had potential. The plot seemed to indicate it was about the origins of man. Well. It was an outing anyway. The movie that had potential seemed to have lost it. Someone asked for a no spoiler review, but it was difficult to say anything without spoilers. It began with potential, cut to a scene in the mountains with nothing out of the ordinary beyond finding some cave paintings, then suddenly they were in space on a ship named Prometheus and from there degenerated into a monster movie. I leaned over to whisper to MOTH that I was waiting for the Aliens to jump out. It turned out to be an Alien prequel and not a great one at that.

My recommendation ... wait for the DVD.

6 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

wow, someone needs to learn how to use paragraphs... lol

I read it. And Sparkling Merlot wrote on my page that she reads it too (when I post! lol)

I have that gift of foresight too. Often.

Chris H said...

I read your blog too.... don't you dare stop! Your posts are always worth reading...even WITHOUT paragraphs (shish Froggy!)

JoeinVegas said...

Elvis can't be dead, there are at least a dozen of him performing here in Vegas.

SOL's view said...

Dangit blogger!

All fixed now :)

Joe, I should have remembered that...

sparklingmerlot said...

Yeah, I read!!!

What is it with you two? :)

Don't either of you stop. OK?

Butterfly Kissez said...

I read! And you are definitely psychic!