Monday, July 30, 2012

Why is getting sick so expensive?

My wonderful marvelous tax refund, the last one of this size I shall ever get, is almost gone. Until you need treatment, you just don't realise how expensive having sleep apnoea can be!

And I did think about not writing anymore as I began this as a way to keep my sibling-in-another-state (Froggy) up to date of the happenings. But it seems that we chat every day and exchange most of the gossip there. Thank you readers, I guess I will keep the tales going so you may continue to nap through my updates.

The fortelling thing can be a little exciting. I dreamed once my ethereal self was standing with a couple of others, watching someone perish in a car fire. The radio news the next morning featured a story about some people who died in a car fire. I've dreamed that MOTH was riding pillion involved in a accident. He came off the bike headfirst into a light pole and broke his neck. His next doctor appointment revealed trouble with his neck... Haven't done it for some time though beyond the little things like the mattress. Just as well!

MOTH comes to pick me up after work. He's early, so I make him wait for about 15 minutes. Finish up time and I jump in the car, eager to get home. He turns the key and ... nothing. What? Again. Nothing. Then he switches off the lights and slumps in his seat. Dangit! Not AGAIN! Yes, the battery is about two years old and he's back to his habit of leaving the lights on...

I often see a cat running past the office through the garden. It looks way too well cared for to be a stray. An expensive looking cat actually, a beautiful cream with very pale red tabby markings. Someone has come in the front door and the cat has seen them. It comes to the door, meowing loudly. Is it hurt? I go to the door and look. No, but it has seen me and rolls on the step, showing its belly and continuing to meow. Now I see it up close, it's definitely an expensive cat! Beautiful colouring and lines, muscular and sleek. Pedigree by the looks of things. Why would you let a cat like that roam a busy street and with no collar?

Speaking of cats, Jerome has his vet appointment today. I've borrowed a cat carrier from the vet. He didn't fight to go in it, but when he realised he was trapped, he began to cry. Like a siamese. This little kitteh cried meow meow meow all the way ... to the vet, in the waiting room and finally quieted just before we went in. The vet was running late. Must be a medical professional thing.

He took the poking and prodding and temperature check in his stride and didn't even flinch at the needle. But apparently he's a bit of a porker. I didn't think I fed him that much - up to 1/2 a cup of dry food and an 85g can of tinned food. Googling and Bing-ing the interwebs and cat care forums don't give so much as a clue as to volume but plenty of opinions about WHAT they should eat. I took a guess, somewhat less than the packaging gave as a guide. So. Now he's fat. The Teen wails ... YOU MADE MY BABY FAAAAAT. I laugh, rough him up and call him fatty. In an effort to cut back, I've dropped the tinned food to half a can.

I've also got to figure out what details have been included on the microchip? The Teen's or mine? Or maybe even Ma's?

It's a toll free weekend. The new airport tunnel is open. I get an email from our toll provider who say their tunnel is free this weekend so people can go check out the new tunnel. Perhaps we'll go for a look.

Movies again! W00t! This week's special is The Avengers. MOTH asks if it's the Emma Peel one. What? No, get with the program. Just asked, he said, cause they released that not long ago. The one with Uma Thurman? Yeah, that one. Riiiiiight, Rip Van Winkle, that was some years ago now.... The Avengers is great; great characters, great cast, subplots, themes, tension and all broken up with some well placed one liners.

And I like it even better because the ticket price on special is $5.50 a person.

MOTH tells me that we will have passengers for the tunnel trip. John and his daughter were going to have a look so they will come with us. No problem. She and I are quite alike and get on like a house on fire. We head out with a few thousand others to check it out. Around Airport Drive and MOTH and John are contemplating whether most of the other traffic is just 'doing the loop' as well. It seems so. The whole round trip takes an hour and a half from home. Usually one way takes a minimum of 45 minutes.

We extend our stay to a cup of coffee and chat. An hour or so flies by but it seems only a few minutes.

I walk the length of the house to MOTH's office. Wanna go out to Hardly Normal? Sure, we can do that. *surprise surprise cause moth doesn't do impulse* I'm thinking of buying an expansion pack for a game I have. We arrive and I remember that HN has very little in the way of computer games but gear more toward console. Okies. We browse and before I know it, I'm looking at printers.

Half hour later I've walked out with a new printer, an HP photosmart that takes the same cartridges as the printer I already have. It's wireless and networked too. Sunday night after dinner and I finally get around to setting it up. It is wireless and networked! It sits on my desk, not a cable in sight and it's on the network so MOTH can print too. If he wants. He snavelled the old one. And I have discovered I can print photos directly from the iPhone too. Excellent!

Now I just have to print out some photos to mail to Ma. She's not tekkalogically advanced....

5 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

I admit to having a giggle when I read your trip taking an hour and a half, with a one way trip usually taking 45 minutes. Twice 45 minutes equals... an hour and a half! Dag!

We are in the market for a new printer. And a router. Not sure which to get first now. The poor router is tired, with all the techno crap that's attached to it, so a wireless printer might just sent it senile!

SOL's view said...

Okay, just for you. That's at least 45 minutes with little traffic at 5am on a weekday. If it's any later then it's about an hour. :)

sparklingmerlot said...

I wish I could print from my phone. I struggle to get photos onto my laptop.

Avengers sounds good.

Chris H said...

Ditto what Froggy said about the trip!
We could never get into a movie here for only $5.50! YOu are lucky.

I keep running out of ink with my printer, and it's right at the bottom of my priority list to get a new one... dammmit.
Enjoy yours!

JoeinVegas said...

Did you get a cpap machine for sleeping? I used one a while back and look like I'l be getting another for my apnea.