Monday, August 27, 2012

Great start to the week...

A shock start to the week to come in to work and see an email arrive ... apparently one of the young blokes *and by young I mean mid 30s* working in the wider ITS community committed suicide on the weekend. Apparently he had been very sick. He leaves behind a wife and two young children.

The rest of the week kinda pales by comparison.

So angry on the road this morning! It feels like every idiot is on the road and out to get me. Well, so maybe not all of them. But a goodly proportion. Well, maybe only four. But that's enough I reckon!

Traffic is a little heavier this morning. I think I've timed my run a bit later than usual. I'm nearing the high school on a busy section of road. It's near the railway station which has no parking beyond whatever you can find on the street. It's also a residential area. Some teenager is out on the roadside near the parked cars. He drops a skateboard and kicks off. I can see he is holding what appears to be a cup of coffee and his earbuds are firmly in. Suddenly he spots the tail end of a car attempting to reverse out of a driveway into the traffic and he swerves. RIGHT INTO MY PATH. I sound the horn *and begin swearing!* and the fool doesn't even turn his head...

And then it was a 4WD mummy who was doing 20km in a 40km school zone while she looked for a park that was close to the school. And outside the parking zone I might add. She finds one right at the top of the parking zone and as she pulls in, another mummy in a 4WD pulls right out in front of me. Lucky I made it to work that day!

The Teen suggests that she would like a new job. One where intelligence is appreciated. I laugh quietly to myself. One thing I've discovered is that how much intelligence you have depends very much on how secure you supervisor is in their own job. I tell her this. Mum she says, they're illiterate here, even the venue manager. The bistro menus have spelling mistakes and are you allowed to point that out?? Ooooh no no no. She sends an example of a closing procedure. All the nouns ending with "s" have an apostrophe. Tray's. Sheet's. Jigger's. *rolls eyes* She goes on. I want to have a conversation with someone who doesn't look at me blankly when I try to talk to them. I'm tired of feeling like I'm in Grade 6 again! *we moved to a new area. a straight A student moving into a lower socio-economic school. much bullying ensued* I wish her luck. Perhaps administration might suit better than barmaid? She seems to think so.

The Elder sends me a text. Her store manager tells her she's a fantastic team member, but isn't suited for 2IC. One of her faults is she stresses much too easily. Elder agrees. The manager would like to keep her as a team member. She's not sure if this means she will be staying on as part time or dropping to casual. Head Office advise she must take 2IC or they have nothing to offer her. She is devastated.

To add a cherry to her screwed up week, her live in landlord has advised that he would like to rent the house out and they have until October to leave.

Jeebus! Why can't my kids cop a break occasionally?!

I notice a friend has posted of the loss of her grandfather on Facebook. We've been out of contact for some time now as we no longer work in the same place. I send her a text to let her know I'm there if she needs anything. She texts me back with the funeral details. I take this to mean that she would like me to attend. I've known her for about ten years, met her grandfather, brother in law and her mother. She and her mother visited me in hospital. The only problem is, the funeral is at the same time as the other. I guess I should be there for her.

An email arrives from Bestie. Did I want to come and visit on 4pm Saturday? She's have a Norwex party. I've never heard of the product but apparently it's cleaning products. With a bit of skin care thrown in. I'm in two minds but decide to go anyway.

I've bitten the bullet and upgraded to Mountain Lion. There are supposed to be 200+ enhancements/changes. And I've found some, still looking for others. These are likely to be in apps that I don't use. I like the way I can now lock the screen! That may be useful in the future!

MOTH is off the leash while I stay home and do stuff. I don't know what I did beyond clean the ensuite vanity. He's off to upgrade his phone now that the contract has expired. He's back with a Galaxy 3. I think I can now see what some of the fuss between Samsung and Apple might be about. The phones look different but if you can work an iphone, you can work a Galaxy; the way the home screens, swipes, home button, volume, lock off, swipe to unlock etc are so similar!

I spend money I don't have on cleaning cloths that afternoon, but everyone is happy and enjoying themselves, the consultant is bubbly and relaxed and it turns out to be a great afternoon. She's asked MOTH and I to stay on for a bbq dinner. It's nearly 9pm by the time we leave. It's great to catch up and I can't believe how much her daughter had grown.

Rebleach the hair this morning. What a tedious job! And having to work with dry hair is the pits. *i think there are STILL bits that look missed* MOTH goes to visit the baby sitters club and I get to work on this uninterrupted. Yay!

I attend a perfume master class today. It's brief but interesting. We learn about the different types of perfume - floral, oriental, wood, fresh. What the notes are - top, heart or middle, base or dry down. We get to smell different examples. We get to ask questions. We get light refreshments. We get to take home a couple of samples. One of them is Marc Jacobs 'Dot' which isn't released till September. We get to buy at a discount. I purchase a body lotion to go with the perfume I am getting for Christmas. Retail is $63, but today with discount and the refund of the class booking fee, I pay $36. Money well spent I thought. And I've found a new second favourite perfume. Thierry Mulger 'Alien' *quiet froggy!!*...

3 comments:

Chris H said...

Wow heaps going on in this post.
Traffic totally gets up my nose too.

Colleen Barnett said...

*bites tongue* :-)

Sounds like an emotional week. Ups and downs. I hope the poor kids catch a break soon. I'm so proud of Teen and what she's done lately. Fingers crossed she can find something where her intellect is actually appreciated. neither of them are dumb, and can certainly do much better for themselves.

xxx

JoeinVegas said...

Oh, to become a perfume master -