Monday, September 03, 2012

Sleepy kitteh

Very sleepy. Wow. Already. And it is only 08:51 on Monday morning. Oh wait. Monday. That could very well be it. The office is quiet this morning; only two of us are here so far. I've had a cup of coffee but caffeine is overrated. It never peps me up.

Both funerals were this week. Same day, same time. I went to support my friend while she buried her grandfather. MOTH dropped me off and went to amuse himself in the shopping centre. Ippy was very glad to see me. I was smothered in a hug while she cried for a little. The gathering was small, mostly family and RSL friends it seemed. The service was lovely; the RSL friends laid poppies on his casket.

I teared up a little at one point. They had been married for 66 years or so and it made me pause to wonder if MOTH and I will ever get that far. *realistically, probably not. we're half way and MOTH is nearly 60* And what the heck will I do without him? I nearly lost it there, but deep breaths helped.

MOTH was a little late coming for me as he had to negotiate the length of the shopping centre back to the car and being MOTH didn't get my message straight away. I caught plenty of curious looks so satisfied myself with being the mysterious blonde that turns up at these kinds of dos. In the stories anyway.

The days have been delightful. Well, looking from inside it has been and I've been receiving regular reports from the campus mailman about how beautiful the days have been. He's a lovely old fellow, always a smile and a cheery word.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have to be stuck in an office all day, and could pack up and walk out whenever I wanted. I think I need a job where I can work from home at my own pace and my own hours. Any suggestions as to a job like that anyone??

The day is lovely and for something different, MOTH and I wander the car yards. We aren't really in the market but it used to be my favourite passtime when I was a kid. That, and a trip to the dump. Who didn't enjoy that as a kid. Though we were never actually allowed to get out of the car, it was still a lot of fun. The dirt. The smell. The birds. The flies. The adults and kids crawling over piles of refuse looking for treasure. Mum found so much useful stuff!

So. We wandered up and down the street, looking at cars. So many I would love to have! But hey. I'd need a second job to be able to afford one.

We decide to look at the new JB HiFi store that opened recently. On the way we decided to stop at a pet store in the same complex that we hadn't seen before. It's .... spacey. Large. Plenty of stock, specially pet food. The supermarket stuff, Royal Canin, Science Diet and many, many more. Expensive, but possibly worth looking at when we go to restock. We purchase a small 'auto' feeder for Jerome.

JB HiFi is also spacey. I succumb and purchase a couple more DVDs to add to my collection. Harry Potter 7.1, Batman Begins *for MOTH* and ... and ... oh yes. Conan. The latest one, not the original Arnie version.

The feeder is set up. It's not technical at all, just a plastic tube with a tray at the bottom that lets the food slide through. If you turn the tray and attach the tube to the other set of notches, it can be converted to an auto water dispenser as well. We fill it with dry food. Jerome eats what has dispensed into the tray and when he discovers that he has to use his paw to get it to dispense further, he seems less than impressed.

Father's Day. I phoned my dad without being prompted. And spent half an hour chatting. I think that is a record. Neither he nor I are particularly chatty when it comes to the phone. Mind, the call lasted an hour. Half hour for Dad, and another half for Ma.

I decide to cook MOTH a nice lunch. He had chosen a piece of steak from last shop which we had forgotten about. Kind of like a cutlet but probably about 500g or more. The aim was to portion it between the two of us, but I thought what the heck, you have to die of something, it may as well be something you enjoy *no, i'm not trying to hasten him along. heh* I seared it on the bbq, then moved it to a roasting pan to finish. It was still going about 30 mins later. MOTH tells me I should have put the pan on the plate, not the grill. It would have cooked better, with a more even heat distribution. Ah well, next time I'll know. It did still turn out well though, and served with some mashed sweet potato seasoned with cinnamon *his fave* some peas and carrots. I ate the peas and carrots and a couple of pork sausages. He gave it a good shot, but couldn't finish it.

He ate the rest of the steak for dinner, wrapped in bacon and trying to pass itself off as a mignon. It failed on that count *no sauce, no crouton* but was still very tender.

So another week begins. The day is looking lovely through the tinted office front door. I think I might go for a walk...

5 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

playing musical instruments in the back of the EH at the dump! lol! It's even better now, they have a shop...

I heard you had called home and spoke for some time. You really shouldn't, you know your ma has a weak ticker! I spoke to pop for about half an hour. We do quite well on the chat scale. Didn't speak to ma but will phone her later (maybe on the way home)

x

Anonymous said...

You could always become an Avon sales lady.... moose xx

JoeinVegas said...

Yes, at least get out and go for a walk once in a while. A ten minute walk several times a day for a break does wonders. I've started, but all I get is a hot parking lot.

sparklingmerlot said...

Why is it that even when you work part time the glorious days are when you're in the office and the shite weather descends on the rest of the week. *sigh*

Chris H said...

Funerals always make me cry... just can't help it.
I try to avoid them though, they always make me remember my brothers and Dad. All Gone.
I hope your weeks was nice.