Monday, December 10, 2012

Nervy. Already.

I have a video meeting this morning. I'm a little nervous as this sort of thing is quite new to me and I shall be on my own, having to talk. *gulp!*

Two more weeks and I can take a holiday break from work. Whoo!

I've been busy again this last week at work. When Admin2 is away, I always seem to be busy doing her work and little of mine. However I did manage to get one of my tasks finalised for the end of the year.

It was a close run thing though. I discovered that one of our GTs was away for a work gig. Which no one it seems had sought the necessary approval for. Now seriously folks, they should well and truly know the drill by now. The GM put it down to the new manager not knowing it had to be done, but I was thinking that a GM worth their salt would have known what was going on and rectified it immediately instead of blaming them for not doing it properly.

But hey, they should have twigged that I would pick up on it and make a fuss.

I have a very responsible position here you know *anything goes wrong, i'm responsible, right?*

I've finished my reading and now I'm lost. What am I going to read now? The online book group I have through Good Reads has begun reading "The City of Bones" for December. But I read that in November. I've finished the series now. I guess I could go back and read City of Bones again? But wait! What's this? I've found a book in Elder's possession. "Assassin's Creed: Revelations". Looks good.

I'm now half way through. One disadvantage is trying to keep a paper book open while eating your lunch is a bit of a bother ... but I'm sure I can manage!

I am chatting to one of the GTs. He wonders about Christmas decorations. Maybe we should look at decorating the office? Sounds like a plan but I doubt anything will happen. The office doesn't stock decorations and if I recall, no decorations have been put up for a couple of years since the Canadian left. Wonder if we have a step ladder here?

It's rained a little today. Enough to leave the windscreen spotty and for the dust etc to blow over and stick. I can't see out of that! I'm going to have to clean it. *MOTH says the water pump for the wipers is underneath everything and he can't fix it. i can't pay for a fix either* Back into the office and fill the empty water bottle. The water may (or may not) be potable, but it's plenty good enough for a dirty windscreen. Don't start the engine but flick the wipers about 5 times. Jump in, start her up and .... whirrr irrr irrr irrr click. DAMMIT! Flattened the battery. I get MOTH to phone RACQ. It will take them 90 minutes to find where I am. Provided they can find me. They couldn't even seem to find the street. It's 2 hours till gate close and then there is no way to get the car out till Monday morning. Eventually after some back and forth, MOTH and Elder come to my rescue. One of the GTs is looking under the car bonnet as well while he waits for his walking buddy. He and MOTH determine that the safest way would be to swap out the batteries and clutch start the manual. Thank heavens one of them is a manual. It works and eventually I'm on my way. Why does this happen on a Friday afternoon???

Elder tells me that there is no code for the radio and it's a musicless trip home. Oh no, it isn't! The little iPod has speakers so we rev them up as loud as they will go and yeah! Music for the trip home.

A lazy weekend for me. Nothing different there. MOTH asks if I want to come up the street with him. I should I guess, just so I don't become a Hermit. I am forced into other's company during the week so I like to spend time in solitary on weekends. He tells me it's not a requirement as he knows I don't like to sit in one place for too long. And he's right. I don't. I need to get up and move around; he likes to sit in the corner with the Babysitters Club for a couple of hours every day. I beg off ... as I knew I would. Sigh.

It's quiet this morning, everyone is still abed. Except the cats. And me. I notice Jerome is doing his something-is-different-and-I-am-very-wary creep toward one of the bedrooms. I look and ... really? How did that happen? Somehow, one of the cats has managed to get at their dry food. The packet is supposed to be on a shelf around my chest height. Ok, so not that high, but certainly not on the floor. There is a shelf below and nothing close by they can use as a step up. Nothing beyond the shelf below. I think Sheldon has been practicing his ninja skills.

I put the remaining food into plastic containers and back on the shelf.

That night, the kids are out at Elder's work Christmas party and we've packed up and retired for the night. Suddenly I hear something fall. Never mind visions of sugar plum fairies and things Christmasy, visions of spilled cat food race through my mind. Luckily the container has landed on it's lid and nothing has spilled. That's it, I shall have to find somewhere else to store this stuff. For now, it's into the already overcrowded pantry. MOTH decides to place his souvenir bowling pin on that shelf and we go back to bed.

In the kitchen next morning I see that the bowling pin has hit the floor along with the dog treats that had been left there. Bloody cat. Is nothing sacred? I never heard the pin crash but thankfully there is no damage to the tiles.

So, the cat food is in the single door pantry and I've had to move the mixer and food processors to the shelves. Hopefully the little bugger won't be interested in pulling them down.

I'm prepping dinner. And there's Jerome, sitting in front of the cupboard where the food is now stored. Sometimes I wonder who is actually running this household....

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

not you, that's for sure. the ginger ninja runs the place with the black panther as the opposition leader.

try storing the cat food at your head height (everyone else's knee level) behind something heavy. might work....

JoeinVegas said...

But the cat was hungry - maybe if you just left a big bowl of dry food always out . . .