Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Viva la Steam

I have been having a great time with the laptop. Hopefully I can make the most of the time I have left before I go back to work gaming, gaming, and more gaming!

At the moment I play Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider. Both of these games run through a Steam account which is I guess similar to a Batttlenet account. It means that I'm playing "on line" instead of running a DVD on the local computer. Zman is thinking of talking me into setting up an account to play Star Wars: The Old Republic but I could only play on a free account. This doesn't give me full functionality so I don't know how I'd go. I've been asked if I play Minecraft. I think Bestie's boy would be uber happy if I did because it's his current obsession. I've looked at Burrich and Elder play it but my eyes keep trying to go square.

We thought of going out for dinner for our anniversary, and asked if anyone wanted to join us. It's the wrong fortnight really as no one had yet been paid. MOTH thought that perhaps he would like to go to the movies instead. We hadn't yet seen Pacific Rim *ha! i typed rum just then. one of those slips???* which is the movie he wanted to see when we ended up at The Lone Ranger. We decided to catch the 6:50pm session. We ate a quick meal before we left. I can't remember what it was nice. Something simple. I had hoped for a take away but it was not to be. MOTH really seemed to enjoy the movie. I thought it was okay. I think it's based on a game. Or maybe a game is based on the movie? There were some funny one liners, mostly from the dynamics of two of the mad scientists. One was played by William Defoe. Brilliantly, of course. Ron Perlman also enjoyed his part in this movie.

We celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary with dinner at home. We've asked John and Special K to join us. I don't mind as they are good company. Special K says she'll bring the wine. I don't mind but would have been just as happy if she didn't. She drinks red, I prefer a sweet white. Yesterday we've picked up a huge lamb shoulder roast. I think it's about 2.5 kilos worth. A lot of bone in it though as it includes the ribs and shoulder blade. MOTH slow cooks it and serves it with his stuffed potatoes, baked carrot and pumpkin. I've prepared lemon sago for dessert. It's served with cream and custard. We laugh a lot. They don't stay long and Special K offers to help with the dishes. I've told her not to bother as we have a dishwasher.

As far as the dishwasher goes though, I've broken out my special dinner ware for the occasion. So special in fact that when we moved here about ten years ago, it was packed for transport and never unpacked because I no longer had space for it. I wasn't sure where it was, except in a box in the garage. MOTH decided to look for me and found the box it was in. Very easy to find actually, it was close at hand.

Of course, the set couldn't go through the dishwasher. Darn. This set used to belong to my grandmother. I think it may have been a wedding present. It's about the same age as MOTH. The glaze is a pretty yellow and it's adorned with violets. I've wanted it for many years and when I turned 18 my mother finally gave it to me. It's mark says Royal Staffordshire Honeyglaze.

I love it to bits. I think pieces of this set are collectibles so perhaps I can find various bits and pieces on the net somewhere for sale, like a creamer jug and serving platter.

Out of the blue today, MOTH decides he wants to go for a drive some suburbs over and look at Harley Davidson motorcycles. I'm dreaming out the car window and not taking much notice of our surroundings. We arrive in the area but as usual, MOTH isn't quite sure where the shop is located. I looked at Google maps on the smartphone but as I found a map MOTH spots the shop. There's plenty of bikes to look at along with various items of merchandise. I contemplate buying a collar for Jerome. It's pink. Black words on it say "BAD TO THE BONE". It's really for a small dog but it's adjustable. MOTH says I shouldn't buy it. Pink isn't the colour for a black cat! It should be a black collar. I laugh. I toy with the idea some more but don't buy. MOTH looks at the bikes some more and chats to some of the staff. He's not going to buy, but it's nice to get out and look. Bikes are in his blood after all.

The bike he likes the most has a $50K price tag.

On the way home I ask why he wanted to drive out today. No particular reason. It's just that while I've been on leave, the fuel tank has barely left the full mark. It's payday soon and we'd be looking for a refill so yeah, why not get out of the house. That's fine by me.

When I get home, I leave a message to let Teen know about the collar. She tells me to give MOTH a punch as she thought I should have bought it.

The Elder lost someone in their circle to suicide on the weekend. She didn't know him well, but others she knew did. A young local boxer with a very promising future. She chatted to MOTH about it. He reports she was feeling very uncomfortable with this one. She spoke to him on Saturday. I looked in his eyes, she said, and I knew. I just knew. I could see me in his eyes. I wanted to reach out but I didn't know him. She's feeling better about it now but I was worried that she would get caught on the "what if's, if only's". Love her to bits and it can't be easy.

The Teen is living it up in New Zealand at present, on holidays with Harry and his parents. She doesn't have much access to wifi so I'm not getting a lot of updates. She's in the snow and having a marvellous time. I'm almost jealous, but my preferred place to travel is north. England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, and Las Vegas. One extreme to another for me! MOTH would love to visit Asia. Just like peas in a pod we are.

I believe there is a possibility that Elder and some friends might be descending at some point this month to collect some gear, though I think I've mentioned that already. I think I shall be happy with this. MOTH thought it would be good because then they could attend Ekka with me instead of him *wuss*. However, since I've bought the laptop I no longer have the funds to go party. Ah well...

2 comments:

JoeinVegas said...

Las VEgas! - you can come out here and rent a Harley for a few days and see the countryside.
I play Minecraft because I can build things instead of just killing. I tried WOW and reached level 70, but then it all seemed the same - find a quest, kill the beasties, back for another. Over here for armour, over here for spells, etc etc etc.
Minecraft lets you build stuff, I quickly got used to the blocks, can kill things at night, and interact with other people. Let me know if you want to try - the game's cheap, I can pass on the name of the server I go to.

Colleen Barnett said...

You really should have bought that pink collar, you know :-)