Monday, August 26, 2013

Transmission baby!

I didn't end up dodging the germs. I've been hacking, coughing, and wheezing for the last week now. The sneezing has stopped but the coughing goes on.

The car needs a service. MOTH has done a list of the parts needed and we've gone to our preferred supplier to get pricing. Time comes to get them. MOTH thinks he'll get our local mechanic to do the work though. MOTH goes for a quick chat with him and the yard is full of vehicles. He must have a lot of work on. MOTH starts the work himself. It takes a while and he hasn't completed it by end of day.

Guess what, he says. I made a mistake. Oh? Yes, it seems I've emptied the wrong sump. The tale comes out. He completed the oil change, and started the car but it wouldn't reverse without effort. Suddenly the penny dropped and he realises he had drained the transmission fluid and topped up the oil. Without draining it. Oops.

We've picked up a lift to join the Club at the shops. Special K asks about the car trouble and I tell her that he'd drained the transmission fluid and realised he didn't have replacements. She's happy with that. I think MOTH may have mentioned something a little different to Wombat as he has picked up the chant and soon the truth emerges. MOTH has drained the transmission fluid and topped up the oil by mistake. Everyone is in fits of laughter. Wombat ribs MOTH about "Mr Fixit" and I laugh. I tell the tale of the running joke between Elder, Teen, and myself about his fixit skills. Don't worry, Dad will fix it! Groans, facepalms abound. Most of the time his fix it works, but his work could be considered a little slap dash by the girl's standards. Sometimes, fixing it actually made it worse. *giggles*

It seems MOTH didn't know this, and has now vowed to never fix anything again.

Uh oh.

The Club thinks this is hilarious.

So, we need to purchase the transmission fluid. There is a suppler fairly close but we don't have transport. I check the web to see where there are other stores. Wait. There's one a couple of suburbs over and it's on a bus route. We decide to head out on the bus together. When the day dawns, I'm not sure since I still have the headcold/cough thing happening and I'm not feeling chirpy. We go anyway and have lunch over there. It's a great way to spend an hour or so.

I go to bed feeling edgy and somewhat uneasy. I don't know why. I'm awake at 1am and can't seem to get back to sleep. I get out of bed and fetch the phone so I can play a game. I get a text. It seems that the Teen and Harry have gone their separate ways. I'm somewhat startled and can't go back to sleep. I'm awake now, so I leave the bed *again* and head to the laptop. Playing Bioshock and the next thing I know, a couple of hours have passed and I've played through the finale. Whoo! It's a great game. Have a look at it if you haven't already.

It's been a while but I think I'll cook a roast lamb leg. I've never managed to master the art of crispy potatoes if I do them in the oven. The only way I've managed to get them crispy is to shallow fry them in oil. Just like Ma used to. Maybe one day I will master that. I can cook a roast okay though, and it turns out well. However, although I like to cook, I would really much rather bake. I'm still determined to try making croissants. Properly. With lots of layers and the 2 day process. Yeah! I think I'll master that and go for world domination. Through sweet pastries...

3 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Even when I shallow fry them they still come out soggy when I do potatoes.

Wow, Harry and Teen? That threw me for six! Was it sudden or did you get an inkling when you saw them last? Hate it when these things happen.

I found a great butterfly lamb from, Coles, I think. Marinated and vacuum sealed. Very, very tasty!

JoeinVegas said...

Never fix anything again? What will you have left to laugh at?
and sweet pastries - I can see the pounds coming on now (as they are at my house with me working the new ovens)

Chris H said...

Bioshock... must look that up on the 'net. Knowing my luck it isn't available.
I ain't got a fancy photo. *sniff*

I hope you are feeling better now.