Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Quiet! Smell that? I'm thinking.

I'm thinking about what has happened this week.

Made it through another week of work. I'm slowly getting the upper hand with the left over travel paperwork, should be finished soon. Then I guess I'll have to discuss with Super what to do next. I think she's angling for me to hurry and finish with this stuff.

MOTH has been spending quite a bit of time in the rumpus room in the recliner watching Foxtel. Well, some occasional time anyway. I asked why he's gravitated to there instead of his area. Dunno, he says. This Foxtel has more of the stuff I watch. Although I am sure the Telstra T-box does have at least one of the channels he watches on it. I don't mind, I just think it's funny.

I'm not sure that Jerome has worked out if he likes MOTH's transition or not. He has taken over the recliner and usually has to give it up when MOTH decides to watch TV. Jerome was sitting on the window sill, close to the recliner. MOTH decides to sit in the empty recliner. Suddenly Jerome clears the space between the window sill and the recliner in one leap! He throws himself in the recliner and spreads out leaving no space for MOTH to sit. If only I had captured it on film! It was hilarious. MOTH giggled a bit then shifted Jerome to the couch. Jerome huffed and stalked off. We still laugh occasionally, MOTH even chooses the couch sometimes if Jerome is in the recliner.

I get a quick notice from Elder that they will be coming for an overnight trip to collect their bed. Fair enough. But this time, I don't bother to do much of a clean up. Heck, I don't think I've even made space on the bathroom vanity this time. They finally arrive, yay! The house is noisy once again. They've brought Asian with them. He's one of my favourite non-children. They dump their gear, get settled, nip out for some things and head out for the evening, yay! We provide a door to door drop off service. Just to make sure they've gone. Asian provides directions from the front seat but when we get there, he can't remember the number of the house. I know what it looks like though! We drive up the street and he decides maybe we've passed it. U-turn and back down. Wait, there it is as Burrich calls out the number from the back seat. He's checked it on his phone. Clever!

I've made sure they have house keys and checked to see if they can find a way home. I'm not keen on the idea of heading out to the railway station for pick up at some ungodly hour. They have keys and they might get a bus home. Alright.

I hear a noise. I look at the clock and it's 1:48am. I know what's happening and I check to make sure that MOTH has his pyjamas on properly. You never know, he's kinda pale so he could glow in the dark. The screen door rattles, keys turn in locks, someone says something, the doors close, and three shadows flit past my bedroom door. Elder leads the way, Burrich comes second, and Asian brings up the rear. It's like a scene from a movie. MOTH and I lie in the dark discussing which one gets picked off first. The front, he says. No, they always start at the back I say. Haven't you watched any of those movies??? He chuckles and we drift off to sleep.

Elder and Burrich have to wait for the ute owner to wake up before they can make arrangements. He's way out on the northside and has asked if someone can come and drive in with him. Instead they want to meet a friend in the city so they decide to meet in there. They're gone for a couple of hours and return with the ute owner in tow. He seems nice enough. Elder is stressing badly, yelling at everyone and I try calm her down. Not sure if I succeeded but things even out a bit and total meltdown is avoided. She insists the tarp must go on the bottom however a quick look in the back of the ute and I reassure her that things are sitting on a rubber mat and all is good. All she needs to do is put the mattress on top and cover it with the tarp. She isn't sure but calms a little.

They get on their way eventually, the bedroom looks like a cyclone has hit. I'm hoping to clean it up eventually and using it as a spare bedroom with the single bed.

As it was before they moved in.

I've been very tired lately. Home from work and crash on the couch for a couple of hours. And if I'm not careful, a couple hours later again. Friday I thought I've had enough of this and I don't want to go to sleep. I like to window shop through electrical stores looking at everything from the small appliances through to stoves. *ok, i admit i'm weird* Let's go wander I say to MOTH. He's not sure but we go. And we decide to head for a different branch of Harvey Norman. We wander happily about. I see a couch I really like. A 2 seater and a 3 seater, fabric upholstery, in a beautiful teal colour. MOTH isn't necessarily impressed. We look at desk chairs. One is shaped like a racing car seat. MOTH pronounces it comfortable. I'm not so sure.

There are other couches I like the look of. MOTH goes for the ones with recliners. We ooh and ahh over carpet samples. We like the shorter pile, slightly darker colours that won't show use as much. Our current carpet is a longer pile, beautiful, soft, and creamy near the walls. Dirty grey and flat in the traffic areas. And smells terrible if the house is closed for extended periods during the wet season. The landlord isn't willing to upgrade though.

We look at dryers. We look at vacuums. We look at kettles. We look at fridges. We look at cameras. We look at washing machines. Did I say we look at washing machines? The salesman traps us there. We've been thinking about replacing the washing machine - it's about 8 or 9 years old. The life of the machine we have is rumoured to be about 3 to 4 years. MOTH hasn't fully decided if he likes front load or top load machines. But we're happy to look to see what's there. $1500 later we walk out with a Meile washing machine to be delivered Tuesday.

That's the last darned time I decide window shopping is better than sleeping on the couch.....

3 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

ooh new washing machine! good one!

JoeinVegas said...

Sounds like it was much more than a new tea kettle would have been.

Chris H said...

Did you get a front loader or a top loader?
Our washing machine is due to die in the next year or so.

I am told the front loaders are EXCELLENT and use less water... but my 'problem' is would I want to have to kneel down to load and unload it all the time?

That is what keeps putting me off them.

My aunt got a front loader and HATES it... she hates having to get down on her knees to load/unload it.

I think window shopping is very dangerous!