Monday, September 11, 2006

Knickers in a twist

I noticed a story on one of our 'tabloid tv' programs that masquerades as a current affairs program. I have been out of circulation for a while with regard to purchasing little girl's undies, not since the Teen reached double figures.

I know little girls like to dress up, but really. Padded bras? G-strings? Well, hang on ... now that I recall the segment, I think they only showed a string bikini. In sizes as small as 6. Lace, sequins, ribbons. It's all there. Now that's scarey. Where do we draw the line here? Why would you want your 6 year old to be wearing this stuff?

For me, if a girl starts wearing the lace and the knicks at age 6, what's she got to look forward to as a rite of passage? Being given my first bra for high school was a sign of 'coming of age', much the same as the (really) old fashioned concept of a boy receiving his first pair of long trousers.

These days, kids already grow up too fast. Time to back off and let them be kids.

No comments: