Thursday, September 07, 2006

UnAustralian comments.....

Well I see that age hasn't mellowed Germaine Greer any. She's just as vociferously vitriolic as ever. Her latest take is that Steve Irwin was a tormentor of animals and many Australians found him embarassing. She also found the British press describing the mass floral tributes and public outpouring of grief as 'a Princess Diana moment' extremely embarassing.

You know, I have to stand up and say YES! I am one of those Aussies who found his public persona extremely embarassing. I have also admitted this to more than one American I have come across who professed a huge 'love' of this man. For me, South Park summed it up beautifully one episode with Cartman's parody of an Aussie croc hunter.

However, that doesn't mean that Germaine's comments were timely or appropriate. C'mon Germaine, you can't say that Australia might not have found you embarrassing once upon a time.

No comments: