Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Timelords. Or getting my head around time zones...

Well, I've made it through Easter and out the other side. But I seem to have lost a day. If not, why does my Google calendar tell me it's Wednesday 11 April?

Ok, so. Here we are GMT +1o. Which suits me fine. And Google calendar tells me so too. But so many different time zones. And not just internationally. As I might have mentioned in a previous whinge, I organise staff travel. And most of that is international. Just as well I have World Time bookmarked! If you need to call anyone, heaven forbid, then you have to check the time first. China - 2 hours behind. New Zealand - 2 hours ahead. USA - all over the place.

And it doesn't get any better within Australia. Some states have daylight saving. Which, thank heaven has finished for the season. Things are back to normal. But some states don't have daylight saving. If I need to phone interstate, I have to pause. Not good, because any delay means I have to sort myself out all over again. So, is daylight saving finished yet? If not, the rest of the Easter Seaboard is 1 hour ahead. The middle of the country is now 1/2 hour ahead, and as for the rest of the country, I can never remember where they are at anyway.

But to add to the fun, the Powers That Be want to introduce daylight saving in part of the state. How would that work? It's short circuiting my little brain enough as it is.

They've tried, several times now, to get daylight saving introduced. Without success. But they'll keep pushing till everyone gets sick of it, and votes yes at the next referendum. And then I'll have another time consideration to contend with.......... Lucky me.

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

Easter Daylight Saving time??? Wasn't aware of that one! As a member of one of the states that has daylight saving, I have to tell you, it has its ads and disads. Like trying to get kids to bed before 9pm! Forget it! And the hottest part of the day is about 4pm! But for now its over for another year, and it gets dark at 7pm...alls well in little old Adelaide...