Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Fond memories of silly things.....

As the Elder and I wandered to the station this morning, she suddenly pulled up in the middle of the footpath to remove a piece of dead grass from betwixt stocking and shoe. Which sent us off into a paroxysm of giggles as we recalled some of the things her Maternal Grandmother has done.

Apart from the dessicated flake - no, not telling that one, one has to keep some memories for herself - our other favourite begins......

Festival time. Nothing too grand. But for our little place, it was the highlight of the year. And coincided with Easter. About a week of mardi gras, with rides, side show, fairy floss, stage show and other assorted entertainments. All served along a narrow strip of waterfront road. Visiting said fair, at night, was a maelstrom of colour, noise and pools of darkness between the overhead lights where one amused oneself by walking up and down the length of the show on the one street. For hours for the extremely dedicated.

MG thought she would come with us one evening. I seem to recall the presence of another female but cannot bring to mind a face. Either a daughter or sibling. However, I digress. She came with us. A rare outing. For which she dressed up. Now, MG is of the old school. Dressing up means long sleeved shirt, collared, handbag, shiny patent pumps, straight skirt, stockings, make up and the 'do' has to be right. So we let loose and stroll.

Somewhere during the course of the evening, she leans over to me and gives me a poke to get my attention. A short whispered session, and suddenly I am laughing so hard I cannot walk. I'm bent over, almost wetting myself.

Seems that, while walking along, she noticed the shoe on her right foot was becoming a tad tight. A feeling which grew worse the longer she walked. Imagine her dismay to discover that her foot was wedged in a paper coke cup. Which, it seems, had been there long enough to become very properly wedged too.

MGs biggest worry was how long she had been getting about in this state before she noticed.

And I still collapse in hysterics whenever I think about it. Love mother very much and life is never dull with her about........

*wipes eyes*

4 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Ha ha ha! Snort, ha ha ha! Yep, I can just picture that perfectly! She is such a good source of comedy, is our mum. You have gotta tell the flake story though, as I was in the kitchen that day and remember it well....

Anonymous said...

humph - so now im faceless eh? ta love, thanks for the memory :-)

SOL's view said...

ooooohhhhhh, that was you.... I couldn't remember. Getting old and it wasn't the focal point of the tale. XD

Colleen Barnett said...

Faceless, A Nonny Moosey? You? Never! But answer your emails sometime and you will have a voice again! Then you can put your two cents worth in all the time and we will remember who you are! xxxx (miss you)