Tuesday, May 29, 2007

New disasters for ORPS. Or employing other family members...

So after a brief stint of unemployment, a quick dash around the job search sites, someone pointed out to the Elder a traineeship position. Which, with some encouragement and other urging, she applied for.

Two days after it closed, she got an interview. Three working days after the interview, she got the job. Now that's darned fast work.

She started yesterday and really liked it. I'm hoping she will continue to like it for the next 12 months. But perhaps I am deluding myself. How many of us can truly say we have loved every day of our job?

But, here's the thing. It's at my old place of employment. I would have thought they would steer clear of anyone with the same name as mine. Not that I wreaked any havoc while I was there. At least I don't think so. The only excitement I remember was someone setting their bun on fire in the toaster oven. And I was the one who found it. Mostly because I had the questionable good fortune to "live" just outside the tearoom. Very noisy spot, but brilliant for catching up with everyone, and dropping some unintentional eaves on heated discussion topics. :-)

But ah, the convenience of having her work on campus. No more catching the bus from home to the station. And back the other way. Cheaper fares. And if the Centre for Happiness decides to have a meeting, I have a lift home. The only problem is that she starts earlier and finishes later than I do. So it looks like I am going to be unwillingly working up some flextime....... sigh.

So this morning's sight of the week - I know, it's only Tuesday - was Elder walking up the hill to the office. Black hair, black and white striped jumper over a white blouse, black patterned skirt, black flat shoes, and white, white legs. Hunched over like a little black and white beetle while she tried to escape the wind.....

Which reminds me, I really must check out that movie Beetlejuice again.

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

Wait till I tell her you called her a beettle! Yes, check out Beetlejuice. Did I hear a rumour that they were remaking it?