Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Ye Olden Dayes

Well, I think I have blathered on a couple of entries ago bout a wedding we had an invite to. A medieval themed wedding. It happened last weekend. And it was good.

It was small. And cozy. I like a small reception. And true, there were people there we didn't know. But about half of them were from work, so I couldn't plead Nigel NoFriends. Oh, now I think of it, I couldn't plead that anyway. I took the Elder. MOTH was supposed to go with me, but he had been sick and couldn't make it. So, the Elder sacrificed herself for a free meal and offered to go in his stead.

We dressed to the occasion. There were only a handful who didn't. And it looked good. The bride assured me that she had sewn her gown, the groom's outfit, the tabards the male relatives wore, and that the machine had broken two days ago. The rest of the outfits had to be finished by hand. Whew.

The ceremony was conducted by a celebrant who also dressed for the occasion. As a monk. Odd that. It was held in a small local hall, under a white wooden bower topped with flowers and ribbons. We traipsed across the way for the photos, and killed some time before returning to the hall for the feast.

And a feast it was. Salad, roast veges, roast chicken, beef and pork. With warm breadrolls and butter. And gravy. And for dessert - black forest cake, berry pavlova and vanilla icecream.

Potables - thank you Professor Lawson, I hadn't thought about that word before - were supplied in the form of canned softdrink, red and white wine and a keg of Coopers pale. Which, we found out, wouldn't work. But, specifically recalled from the pub, one of the GT knew his way round the rig, and soon fixed it. I made sure to have a glass. Just to celebrate the fact it was fixed.

After dinner, the way was cleared and the knights took their stance for the featured bout. These chaps obviously took their task seriously - they came complete with plate armour and chain mail. A kneeled greeting to the bride and groom, and into the serious stuff they went. We were a little worried about the walls and floor - they weren't mucking around. It was fascinating stuff to watch. I can see why they liked their tourneys.

But, the end of the night rolled around and my driver requested we return home. I still got to navigate though. The return was easier - I didn't get us lost. Mind, the lost on the way there was minor, and only meant that we had hit the deviation without realising it. And still made it in plenty of time.

Pictures will follow in due time - when I get myself back into this time period and get them uploaded to the computer. So I can upload them here....

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

Lucky for you Elder made sacrifices! Sounds an excellent affiar, and one I can't wait to see photos of. And to think, the wedding I went to recently was just boring old traditional! Haha. Actually, it was very good, lots of good food, good music...and the lucky shower....