Monday, April 28, 2008

A Proud Tradition

Anzac Day. Steeped in tradition, high emotion and celebration. Unless you seem to be some of the young ones these days. Who don't think it's appropriate to celebrate war. When are they going to learn that it's not about celebrating war? It's about celebrating the greatness of the gift that our soldiers have given us?

For me, Anzac Day has always meant a holiday. And avoiding the Dawn Service. This year, I thought I would break with tradition and catch the parade. I don't think I have seen it since our cousin was in the march past and still married to his first wife! I laid my plans. Then several members of my household invited themselves along. Ok. I own up. I asked if they wanted to see it with me.

The basic upshot is that when we arrived in the city, someone called it too crowded and they opted to go walking instead. I thought I would tag along cause they surely wouldn't be too long and we might be able to find a vantage point on the way.

We toured the gardens. Three of them took off and walked ahead, and I got left with the babysitting. Great. My ankle was killing me, and I had to deal with Blondie. Normally, that's not a huge problem, but he was snippy. At what, I hadn't quite figured out. But he'd been bad the day before, Sunny thought it a good idea to get him out of the house. And he came. He did tell me that he didn't like big groups - heck there were five of us total. So he hung back with me. Dammit!

Blondie is an all right kid. I guess. But he has his problems, and right along with depression is a possible ADHD. Yay for me. Don't ask me how I do it folks. I just have a special talent.

But he got snippy with Sunny for some reason, going quiet and snipping when Sunny spoke to him. I pointed the finger; don't you start! And things evened out from there.

I don't remember what I did Saturday. The day is just a blur. Oh, I remember. MOTH and I hit the road to the shops. He was looking for liquid smoke to use for his jerky. We didn't find any, and alas, feel we must begin searching in cyber. I bought a pair of ugly white ankle boots for the Teen. She loves them, but ugh!

Sunday I thought I would venture into the city again. Sunny has a bead necklace he likes to wear. One I made, and the knots on the 'string' keep coming undone. It's that stretchy rubber stuff they use, usually for bracelets so you don't need a catch. So off to the specialty store in the city. Which does only beading supplies. I've tried glue and that doesn't work either.

I wanted to leave early, Blondie was coming, as was the Elder and Sunny. In the end, due to oversleeping and not being home, we left later and it was only Sunny and I. Poor MOTH was left with Blondie. And the day was good. For me.

Then we got home and both Sunny and I had nanna naps.

I'm looking forward to my next long weekend.

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

don't ya love living with moody teens? man, what a drag...

finger pointing doesn't work anymore on Jr Her. Nope, not unless it's pointed in a rib! Lots of "Leave me alone!" shouted around our house, doors slamming, stomping down the hall.

aaaah yes, bloody moody teens...