Thursday, April 03, 2008

Square One Would Be Good Right Now

I think I've mentioned Sunny has started a new job. It's five days a week, about 5 hours a day. He's worked three shifts and I think it's beginning to take it's toll.

Yesterday he worked from 1pm to 6pm. All was fine, but boy was he tired. After dinner, we did the usual thing. He sprawled on the couch, surrounded by cushions, doona and me. Actually, I sit in my spot and he props the cushions, pillows and what ever else against me and makes himself comfortable. And this doesn't annoy me. In fact, I get to lean on the cushions myself. Hmm. Comfy.

Last night, the Elder suddenly decided she was in a foul mood. She retired to her room. She put shoes on and stormed out the house. Sunny and I looked at each other and wondered. She went back to her room. She threw things. Sunny gave up and went to see what was wrong.

Holy heck. She was jealous of the time he spends with me. Jealous. I know she's no angel. I know she's capable of this. She also told him that MOTH is jealous of the time we spend together.

Sunny crashed. And I think we are back to square one. I understand his need for Mother company. His own hasn't given him what he needs and he's got 17 years to make up for. MOTH was down on the day he made that statement. To her. He's certainly said nothing to me. We've since talked about it, and he explained it was the depression talking and he certainly doesn't feel that way any more. Having Sunny there hasn't really changed anything. Just now, he goes to bed early and I stay up late. Instead of the other way around.

So now I'm worried that she's killed any sense of security he had staying with us. How can you feel comfortable in a house where you aren't sure if they really want you after all and you think you are creating rifts? And that house was your sanctuary?

I know that it was also the depression firing off her mouth, and I know she deeply and sincerely regrets it. But the damage is done and it's too late to retract.

I hope that it settles down - things were still tricky with Sunny this morning - and he eventually realises that he does fit in. Very much so. And I'm still willing to give him the support he needs to get through. Everyone else will have to live with that. He needs it the most right now.

MOTH understands this. Things were hectic when Sunny first arrived. But now things were calmer, I've been making a more conscious effort to hug and kiss both the Teen and the Elder so they can feel included too.

Fingers crossed the dust settles. Hopefully MOTH can help with this. Even he is learning to communicate more. And that can't be a bad thing.

No comments: