Saturday, May 24, 2008

A long, long post about conferencing...

SATURDAY: I didn't keep a journal to start. So I decided to write this while I was in the middle of tutorials. The following Friday.

We arrived at the hotel about 2.30pm and checked in. I think we had the same room we did last year - high floor away from the lift. It's the corner spa suite and the room is fantastic. Ooohhhh look, that's a big telly! The bed is huge!



Had a meeting with the boys to do a brewery tour. Headed down to the lobby to meet with them. Talked MOTH into driving us out. Found the Burleigh Brewery. Set in the middle of an industrial estate. Right across the road from the headquarters of a local bikie gang. Tried a sampler of three different types of beer - mid strength, european style and pale ale. Loved the pale. Look out for it people; Duke's pale ale, coming soon to a bar near you.

It stormed just before we left to go back to the hotel. It was just MOTH and I for the return trip, aaaannnnnddd ... we got lost on the way back. *sigh* And we couldn't find an undercover park either. We ended up parking near though and made a quick dash through the sprinkles. Up to the room and room service for the evening. I had fish and chips from the kids menu, MOTH had a beef burger. Oh, and I had dessert - chocolate tart with chocolate icecream.

SUNDAY: I had to work. And since registration was to open at 8am, I thought I had better get myself down and get set up. At 7.30am. Down I went with my bundle of stuff, and hey! The path is blocked off! I evenutally had to go down a level, along the corridor past security, and up a level. Spent the day outside the room. Missed almost every presentation bar one, and it wasn't very interesting. Uncle was back from Great Britain. He's older, a gentleman. I was asked later if I had seen his presentation. Nope. I was busy playing firewall, steering folks away from that end of the conference exhibition, and down a level to the registration desk.

Met a lovely young lady who was waitressing. She shall be called ... Waitress. There. Score one for originality. She loved my hair and we got to chatting.

Sunday after the workshop, I went to help finish setting up the booth. Yay, it was complete. And I didn't have to lift a finger.

Sunday evening is the Welcome reception. This is the function put on to welcome the delegates. Free food, free beer, free wine. What more can you ask for? I spent most of my time with the Divine Mz M and her partner who is a member of the GTs. Love those two; we get along so very well. There was plenty of food circulating. Oh, look, something shiny. Nope ... just a cute waiter.

Up to the hotel restaurant for more drinks and snacky food. I was introduced to one of the speakers whom I shall call Frodo. Then down to the Hydrate bar for even more fun and alcohol.

GCee arrived at the bar. We'd only just found out about the whole gender issue. I think that coming out at a function like this takes a whole lot of courage. There are about 1000 people who attend over the three days. At the end of the evening when everyone dispersed, she gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I confess surprise; I didn't think we had known each other that well in her previous life. Not repulsed, just surprised....

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

who is Gcee and why did she choose to come out at the conference?

Was MOTH there the whole week? who was looking after TEEN????

The room sounds nice, and looked pretty spectacular. Nothing like a great hotel room hey!