Monday, December 29, 2008

Bones

Well, it's about 10:15 pm and I'm watching Bones. Everyone else has gone to bed, so I have the place to myself right now. Eeeexcellent.....

A progress update. That's what you have been asking for dear readers! Guess I'm obligated to provide one then. I feel it's only fair to warn you though that I'm kinda tired so the chances of me stringing a coherent story together is kinda slim. *insert maniacal laughter here*

The last week has gone fast. I was beginning to think that we wouldn't get into the house. The previous tenants seemed to be stalling and making life difficult. They were supposed to be out on 19 December or thereabouts. And the realtor phoned. They wouldn't be handing the keys in until Monday 22 December. And we were to take the lease from 24 December. That's cutting it close!

We took a drive past the house late afternoon of the day they were supposed to hand in the keys. Someone was still here! And it was after business hours. They obviously weren't going to hand in the keys that day.

Which meant that the realtor didn't get the keys until the next day 23 December. And they didn't have time to have the place cleaned.

So, you guessed right - we moved into a dirty house. The tenants didn't clean it properly before they left. To the point that someone had spilled rice bubbles or similar in the kitchen and didn't even bother to wipe it up. There are smudges on the walls and the floors weren't vacuumed. I think they had a go at cleaning the carpets themselves. Whatever they used, it positively reeks. Not so bad in my room, but terrible in the other rooms. I managed to get the boys room and the rumpus room deodorised. But not the spare room. And it smells like pee. Maybe it's because the carpets were too damp, but it sure smells like pee. And I haven't found a way yet to get rid of the smell.

I like the house though. There is plenty of room.

Moving and cleaning the old house has been a nightmare. So much so that I literally did have a nightmare about it last night. It seems that I was packing up to move house and as I moved on from one thing to another, whatever I packed would unpack itself while my back was turned. Replaying my fears much?

The Teen managed to rope Wogboy into helping. MOTH was very grateful for that! We had the truck for the day, and he and Wogboy moved as much as they could. It ended up being just one load short! For the truck that is. I have lost count of the number of trips the car has done.

Mind, because it happened a bit quicker than we were expecting, we didn't have much properly packed. The whole move was a bit of a nightmare, with a marked lack of enthusiasm for packing from everyone, and with me working and not able to give the job the attention it deserved.

The old place of course had to be cleaned from top to bottom. Usually I have a whole bunch of people to help and it just flies so quickly. This time, there was only MOTH and I to do the whole lot. The only time I did ask for help, I was made to feel like the worst in the world for even daring to ask. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but it certainly didn't help my stress level or my temper. Still, the old next door neighbour chipped in to help and now there is only the floor to mop tomorrow and the curtains to hang! Yay.

And then of course, I get to repeat the whole process for the new house. There is everything to clean, and a triple garage full of stuff to unpack.

Sometimes I think I will be doing this forever ... remind me never to move again, won't you.....

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

aah, the joys of a new house! Good luck! *wicked grin* xx

(ps - my verification word this time was "muntle"....)