Tuesday, December 02, 2008

I'm back and I'm writing a novel!

This summer lark is all very well, but I do find it difficult to deal with sometimes. If my ramblings are more rambly than usual, then I'm muzzy headed and not quite with it. Quiet you lot!

Right now, I'm busy discussing gifts with the Elder (IM is a wonderful thing!). And I have no idea what I would be liking. Someone give me some suggestions.

So, I digress, as usual. What has been happening during the week. Well, things have been a little strange. Remember I mentioned that the Teen wanted to change schools, and we discovered that we were out of the new boundaries? Well, the idea of changing schools is still hanging about, so we toyed with the idea of relocating.

Of course, we could stay where we were, with a $30 a week increase in rent. And try to fight it out with the school. Or send her back to her current school. Neither option has much by way of appeal.

I scoured the rental lists on the web. Just for comparison. And what you could get in a neighbouring 'burb for the same price we were going to be paying was quite a little better. Most of them looked a little cleaner. Most.

So we decided to join the caravan of not so happy campers looking for a place to live. The rental market has changed considerably since we were last involved. Nowadays, you book in for an inspection and join the cattle call with about sixty trillion other people, all looking through the house at the same time.

So, over the last couple of weeks, we've looked at four houses. The first one we looked at was in a lovely area, but so small I thought it was supposed to be a flat. It was a 3 bedder. And no lounge room to speak of. Which in my book, is never a good sign no matter how many people you are trying to cram into one space. We didn't bother with an application on that one!

The second one we looked at was lovely. The carpet was a bit stained in places, but it had a cozy feel. Lovely. The decor in the snug little lounge area was blue, with pale walls. The tiles were nice and the location was perfect. We decided to put in an application. But we still haven't heard back, so I'm guessing it was lost.

The third house was perfect. The rent was in the right range. The location was exactly where we wanted it to be. There was the right number of bedrooms, although they were a little small. The kitchen/dining was exactly right. The house was clean and tidy and would be easy to look after. Heck, even the garage was carpeted. We put the applications in right there. And in the time we were there, only one other person looked through. She took an application as well. I asked the agent how many others had applied. There had been a few.

We didn't get it. I was so disappointed. I wanted it so badly. I still wish we had gotten it; even though I know that it just meant that something better suited to us would come along. Sometimes it's hard to counsel myself to be patient for things. I don't know why we didn't get it; maybe fate's timing just wasn't right for us.

Just yesterday we had three more to look at. One at 2pm, one at 3pm and one at 3:50pm. Busy day! The first one was a lovely little four bedder. Quite cozy. I did like it, but I didn't like the vinyl floor covering! That was in the kitchen/dining area. I mean, who has VINYL flooring these days? And it had seen better days. The kitchen was mauve as well. And the rumpus room had been painted with sponging effect. The yard out the back was small though. Cute and cozy. It had potential.

The Teen was almost swooning she loved it that much. I suspect it was the pink kitchen and pink bedroom carpets that won her over.

I soooo totally loved the ensuite. The tiles were mottled black and grey with an oil slick sheen on the shower fittings. The focal point was a pattern of black tiles with purple and gold highlights. The shower fixtures had gold highlights. Decadent!



We took the paperwork.

And it was off to view house number two. This one still had people in it. I don't feel comfy traipsing about a house with people in it. And, mind, she was still at home. Eep. We parked out front and waiting for the agent. This house was managed by our current realtor.

The house looked alright from the outside. Not as cute as the previous one. Security screens. That's always a bonus. Supposedly landscaped gardens; a touch overgrown. I wondered how much work that would entail. I don't like gardening! It's got a 3 car garage; supposedly with remote/s.

We got in and tiptoed around the house. I don't like intruding. But heck, this lot haven't looked after it very well. I know they are packing, and there is stuff everywhere, but they have certainly given it the once over. Hmmmm. But the house has potential. It is HUGE. There are 4 double sized bedrooms and a study. I decided that if we got it, there were enough rooms to let Judah have the study all to himself. The only problem is where are the phone lines? I forgot to look.

MOTH decided that this place had potential and we would put in an application. I thought it was suited to what we want; only about 15 mins walk to the school and the shops. Rent is expensive though so we will have to pay more ourselves and increase Judah and Sunny's contribution. I mentioned it to Judah last night, but he doesn't give much away. I'm hoping that he didn't have a problem with it; he'd already offered to pay more when we first mentioned about the move.

When we finished looking at that place, the agent remarked that the second house we were to look at with her had an application on it which was almost certain to be accepted; it wasn't really worth our while. Which was a shame. It was a perfect location but only a 3 bedroom. New too.

So, we took the documents home. And when I went to use the printer to copy all the necessary paperwork to include with the applications for both houses, it wouldn't work. I don't know why - it was working perfectly the other day. Mind, when I say perfectly, I use that term very loosely. If you want to print more than one page, you have to load each sheet of paper one at a time. It keeps jamming when you insert more than one, and often doesn't pick up the paper to feed through at all. So, when it failed to register the colour cartridge, I decided it was time to replace it.

I talked MOTH into making a dash out to the nearest Hardly Normal store for a look. We had been bumming around there looking at stuff on the weekend. And one of the things we had been thinking about was a printer. Wonder if the darned thing we had had been picking up on the I'm-gonna-get-rid-of-you vibes? Just as we started looking, I got a message from Sunny. They both needed a lift to work. But I've only just got here! Not my fault they were in the shower when we left, and obviously didn't hear me call through the door. So MOTH had to dash back to pick them up. And I decided to make the printer choice on my own. MOTH said it specifically had to be able to print photos. Why, I asked. We don't keep prints. What if I want to send them away to friends up north? What, you can't email them? But then, said friend is still using dial up. Pfft. Dinosaur.

I waited for him to come back. I don't have a watch, but it sure seemed to be taking a while. I chose a printer anyway. It wasn't a cheap one, but while I was waiting, someone had gone by and put a discount sticker on it. w00t! I walked up and down the aisle looking at the boxes and thinking I couldn't find one. Blimmin heck, don't tell me I picked the one that didn't have any stock left. There was one out the back though, and I asked the chap for the cartridges to go with it, since the display model had no cartridges in it. So, I was thinking of about $300 but it was on special, and from there a $50 cashback. So yes, cheap! For the type of printer it was. But by the time I got the extended warranty and the cartridges, it was $400! So much for cheap.

And when I opened the box, there were the bloody cartridges in it. Can't win some days.

But we went to hand in the applications at the respective agencies this morning. Or, at least, MOTH did. The biggest bear is that the agent who we currently lease through requires one week's rent up front. This is a holding deposit, and if you don't get the place or you decide not to take the property after it's offered to you, it's refunded. But you have to pay it up front.

So, MOTH hands in the paperwork, and straight away they say we have it. The big house. No checks, nothing. So there you go. We can have it from December 23. Talk about moving fast! When you fill out the application, you can tick to say the property looked fine or you can request that things be done before you take up tennancy. I suspect, or at least hope, that cleaning and garden will be done before we move in. I stuck up my hand and asked if it could be painted. I can ask, they can only say no. Probably needs new carpet too, but I'm not going to push my luck too far...

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

So you did get the big house? and you move Dec 23? EXCELLENT!!! let me know your new address and when I get back from my trip to the Yorke Peninsula after Christmas I will send you a letter! (remember those?)

Good luck! xxx

Anonymous said...

so was that the one that people were still packing in? What sort of area is it? ie Oxley, Forest Lake etc. Yes, keep us posted as far as addresses go!! Congratulations!!!!! :-D moose