Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hunger roolz

And Sol droolz. I had better make sure I eat some lunch while I'm typing this. I'd share, but I want this ham and avocado sandwich to myself. Sorry...!

It's been a rather eventful week.

For the first time in around 18 years, I don't have to go through the horror of Back To School. I can't say how wonderful that is. No forking out for new uniforms or listening to the complaints that the old ones need repairing. No having to find money for text hire fees, P&C and yearbooks before the school year starts. No having to fork out for exercise books, pens, pencils and other assorted paraphernalia. Wheee! Kinda liberating really.

It also means the Teen is home a lot more. I can see there is going to be a fair bit of the Just Wait Till Your Mother Gets Home thing going. So I'm curious. Did I ever do that when she was growing up and I was at home and he was working? Heh.

We had been talking about getting a new boarder in to help with costs now that Teen is no longer at school. *means a change to government payments* A recent acquaintance was looking for a place to stay that wasn't too expensive; MOTH offered her the place. The Teen wasn't very impressed; she was on holidays and didn't get any say. I think she was looking for a younger person. A student perhaps. I had investigated Home Stay but the criteria were somewhat stringent. Blue card. Their own room. Take them where they need to go. Provide a bed and a desk, minimum.

Besides, Raisin *i shall christen her so for the purpose of this writing* pays almost as much as they do. And half the hassle.

She flew in on Thursday. She seems very nice. But yow! Mizz Chatterbox. She is around my age, and likes to stir MOTH. We should get on very well. *big grin* She brought a gift with her. Kopiko, a hard coffee flavoured lolly. And was quite disappointed to discover you can buy them here.

Saturday we went out for supplies for Australia Day. Bestie and her family were coming for a barbeque. Saturday afternoon MOTH and Raisin went looking for Asian grocery stores that may stock hard to get hold of food ingredients. They didn't find what they were looking for.

Sunday morning we did the usual thing and went to the local mall. We picked up the perishables for the barbeque on Tuesday. The rest of the day was spent relaxing in the cool. It was hot outdoors. Has been for the last few days.

I had managed to wrangle Monday off. And sat around for a while. Discovered that the WoW account I had been playing with had been banned. I was somewhat disgruntled, but if I can't play I can't play and that is that. It gave me something to do. I don't use the laptop for much else. Again it was too hot to do much.

Found out later it was something to do with abusing the in-game chat. What the? That is one feature I DON'T use!

Australia Day rolled around. I had decided that we would run the dehumidifyer if nothing else to keep the back end of the house cool while we had guests. Everything was prepped in good time. Bestie and the family arrived.

She brought Boston Baked Beans! *yummm!*

Raisin made tofu and a thick soy sauce for drizzling. *yummmmm!*

Sunny and Judah arrived as well. And a friend of the Teen's. We knew they were coming so it wasn't a surprise. I peeked out the door and noticed Bestie's man with his hair lifted off the back of his neck. I decided we'd serve and eat indoors....

We squished around the table and chatted and ate. More food than I had at Christmas! Steak. Sausages. Chicken rissoles. Tofu and sauce. Boston beans. Garden salad. Coleslaw. Topped with a cold glass of Brown Brothers Crouchon & Reisling. MMMMmMMMM! Sunny pronounced the international dishes were the most successful - tofu (Indonesian), beans (USA). The Teen was thrilled to realise for Australia Day we had an Indonesian, an ex-pat American and an ex-pat Pom gathered around the table.

Dessert was vanilla icecream and lemon sorbet.

We ate till we were stuffed, chattered for ages and eventually joined the kids watching dvds. Shrek, Spirited Away and Shrek the Halls.

Thank heavens for the dishwasher.

And no wonder I went to bed at 09:30pm....

1 comment:

Colleen Barnett said...

sounds like a great day.

haven't tried boston baked beans. good, then, are they?

*coull* sounds pretty coull to me...