Monday, January 11, 2010

Sight of the week.

Imagine. Three burly constructions workers. All dressed in construction bloke uniforms - navy pants, fluro yellow and navy long sleeved shirts. Red hard hat. At the edge of one site. Run across 3 busy lanes of traffic. Pause in the middle. Saunter across the rest of the way. That's the way to do it lads!

A small yacht sailing up the river into the city precinct.

I thought this week would be rather slow. Only the usual work routine. *dangit. tea cup is empty*

But we had some news that MOTH's mother isn't feeling 100% and needs to have surgery. We don't know yet when that will be but will keep you posted as we get any news.

Saturday I spent time roasting. Yes. Roasting. It's been hot again. Not as hot as Adelaide, but we have the humidity to deal with as well. I've been melting, but not enough to run the airconditioner. For some reason, I've been a bit stubborn about that. It might have something to do with the fact that I get a bit too cold if it's been running for a while? I dunno. *shrugs* I have been spending most of my free time at home playing WoW.

Sunday morning dawned bright. I tried to lay in bed for a while but didn't succeed very well. I did some washing and pegged it out. I caught up on the folding and did some ironing. I swept the tiled areas in the house. I pulled a few weeds. I made the bed. I tidied the bench tops a little. I had a shower. Then, with all my chores done, kicked back to relax a little.

Mid quest MOTH called to me. Hon! I need your help. *great. it's bloody hot. i'm dressed in minimum and now i shall have to get properly dressed so i can go outdoors and help you* Hon! I need your help. I get up. Alright! I'll be there in a tic. Honey! I'm bleeding everywhere! *dammit! why didn't you just SAY SO?* I go to him. He's not joking. It's running down his hand and dripping on to the carpet square outside the door. *wonders what to do about that. we have no first aid kit and i'm not sure what damage he's done. a towel? some cloths? i get a washer* By the time I've done that, he's given up, come inside and rinsed off under the tap. We wrap the washer round and try to stop the bleeding. There's so much I can't even see the injury. We get it a little under control and wrap said digits in insulation tape. Good stuff that!

Turns out he had been trying to remove a blown bulb from the back of Jawsome's car. The bulb shattered in his hand and sliced his thumb and his index finger.

He sat for a bit then decided he wanted to go to the hospital to have the wounds looked at. The one on my thumb has me a bit worried. I think it might need stitches.

I drove him to casualty and settled in for the long haul. He was finished about an hour and a half later. They cleaned him up, put two stitches in. The one on his thumb turned out to be about 10mm deep and 15mm long. It goes diagonally from the corner of the nail over the tip of his thumb. Ouch!

So poor MOTH is at home on his lonesome today. With no opposing grip in his right hand. I had to help him dress this morning - he couldn't dry himself properly after his shower, couldn't hold his trousers and button them up, couldn't thread the belt.

You don't realise just how much you use your hands till you find your range of movement limited!

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Just picturing you doing up MOTH's clothing...hmmm...

It's so hot here the air con had been going at home since Saturday, and the house is barely cool. Mind, it's too cold to sit under it at the dining table, but the rest of the house is still hot.

This one at work today is not working either. It's 34 degrees here at my desk right now....

*reptiven*... nope, brain's fried. can't think of anything.

Chris H said...

Awww poor guy! Must have hurt.
I bet he's enjoying your tender care... zips, flies and all! *smiles*
stewandchris@hotmail.com