Tuesday, January 19, 2010

To the Random that makes the world go round...

Yesterday I dropped a book back to the library. After the deed, on passing the Subway outlet, I became aware that someone was apparently speaking to me. Why, I dunno. I turned. A youthy type lad was sitting at a table with a group of other similar types. He thrust a picture out to me. Do you think this baby is cute? I stared, slightly stunned. Silence while I considered the comment and tried to make out context and background that may have prompted the question. Was he trying to sell me something? Was my opinion canvassed to settle an argument? I didn't know. *and if you know me, this process can take a wee while* They waited. Then he said, It's more bout the nose really.... Oh, I said. Well I guess that's a standard baby nose... *face palm. now THAT was a snappy comeback!* One of the others spoke up. He's a bit off the wall today. *sure is!* It was random. *sure was!* Yes, I agreed. It was a bit random. Well, anyway, friend continues, Thanks for playing the game... I smiled and left them to it.

I could have said so much! I think....

The week that was. I guess it was pretty normal. The Teen returned home from holidays. In a better mood than I thought, considering she'd been on a 9 hour train ride with only a bottle of water. Elder told me they didn't have money for food and she didn't think to pack a sandwich! *duh* I took one with me when I went to pick her up. It had gone a bit stale. I told the Teen what was on it - peanut paste. Oh great, she says. I've been living off pb&j sandwiches for the last week! But she ate it.

She's still talking of wanting to move back up north to Hometown. I really don't know why. She tells me it's the people. I'm guessing it's the ones her age, because when we left, the whole influx of new faces drove a lot of the locals out and changed the whole feel of the place. I guess that's what happens when Industry comes to town; the itinerants follow and the companies ship in their own employees. An acquaintance commented that she once could walk down the street and see so many people she knew. Now she can go a whole day out and not see anyone she knows.

Nothing much else happened during the week. That I can think of. Work interrupted my WoW time. So did the Teen. Saturday I didn't touch it because I didn't get the laptop for long. We did a bit of tidying in the outdoor area. I trimmed some overgrown ferns and fronds surrounding the gazebo. Sat the chairs/table out on the grass and scrubbed them down. MOTH grabbed the blower and cleaned all the old cut grass, leaves etc from the patio. And we put everything back. In different places. It looks much tidier.

It stormed that night.

Sunday was hot and humid. The Teen had taken over the laptop again. It was too hot to do much. I think I put the airconditioner on and sat on the couch reading and doing sudoku puzzles. Briefly. Doing that stuff is almost guaranteed to put me to sleep....

PS I thought the baby was pretty darned ugly too.

4 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

wonder why they picked you for your opinion. i always wonder if they are laughing at me behind my back...*creepy*

don't let teen move back up there. big mistake. there is nothing in gladstone for her. so much more opportunity in brisbane.

bout time she got a job, isn't it? :-)

*bacsxequ* not even going to try to work that out.

JoeinVegas said...

So, you don't always tell the truth?

SOL's view said...

Not so much of not telling the truth; just dodging the question. XD

Gastronomy Gal said...

I'm pretty confused about the whole guy asking about the photo thing!!