Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Back to normal

MOTH took great delight in reminding me yesterday that I had to head back to work today. It was a countdown ... in 12 hours you'll be at work, on your second cup of coffee ...

Saturday was a normal store trading day. Thank heavens! Do you have ANY idea how BORING it is sitting round in your jammies doing nothing??? MOTH wanted to go to the local shopping centre for smiles, coke and some groceries. So ... while we're out, how about we drop by the second hand place (different suburb) and I'll see if they'll take my old phone? We'll pick up the groceries from the other suburb after we've been to the second hand place. That way we won't have to come home first.

Fair enough. And that way we don't have to come back home. Alright, off we go. And when we were out, MOTH realised he'd forgotten to take his medication ... so we had to stop at home anyway.

We found the second hand place and they were happy to take the old phone. They don't pay much, but they didn't quibble about the price I asked. *wonder if i asked too little*

While there, I thought we'd drop by EB Games. *my FAVE store* They were having a sale so I managed to get the game I've been wanting for a while AND an expansion pack for $50. Whoo! I've also discovered that it's very hard to get games for the iMac. You'd think since this platform is becoming more popular, they'd do something about it!

The afternoon was spent working on tidying up more of the garden.

Sunday I thought I'd test out my hands free set up for the phone. I've never used one before. Heck, that would mean actually TALKING to someone. Why do that when I can text? And I've never really used any of them as MP3 players either, even though they've all had the capability. So. Turn on the bluetooth and away we go. I called the Elder. No point calling the Teen, it's 9am on a Sunday. She won't be conscious yet. Elder and I chatted for a while, the phone on the desk and me sitting at the outdoor table. It worked well. I phoned the Teen later in the day. I'm still not sure if the Teen is settling in well. It's been nearly 4 weeks now. It would be nice if she could earn a decent wage and support herself in her own place. THAT is what she would like too I think.

Spent some more time in the garden, chopping palm fronds so they would fit in the garden bin. I think someone is going to have to organise an extra run to clear it away!

Monday MOTH insisted I look at the laptop. It's running slow. Well, there's extra stuff on it now. I'm guessing the antirvirus would want to check some of those files as well as it loads? Yeah but it's SLOW! I NEED you to have a look at it. And there's a window that comes up at the top of the web page I look at. It didn't do that before! Alright, I'll look, but I don't know how I can fix anything. *i have degree. it's years out of date. and they don't teach you anything useful while they're at it, either. but hey! i know everything*

So Monday was spent cleaning off some applications that I don't think we use anymore, cleaning up disk space and trying to run a defrag. I've never done one of those in Vista before. There is no progress metre! How can you tell if it's even doing anything?? Hours later it still wasn't finished. MOTH complained. He doesn't like using the iMac - it's different. I suggested to MOTH that perhaps it stops running when the screen saver pops up or it goes into hibernation? So I sat with it for an hour or so just twitching the mouse occasionally so it didn't sleep.

MOTH gave up and turned it off at dinnertime. It had been running all afternoon anyway.

2 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

An no such problems with the Mac.

As for games, if you are into games you can go online and download some trial games (60 mins free trial) or buy for $6.99, here's the link...

http://www.bigfishgames.com/mac.

worth a look anyway.

*losta* i wish I had losta couple of kilos instead of putting them on!

Butterfly Kissez said...

At one satge I wanted a Mac but MM as a computer tech HATES them with a passion and always charges our customers a little bit more if he has to fix them. Hence I am not allowed to have one...it's bad enough apparently that I have an Ipod lol

*retrosi* hmmm let me get back to you on that one