Monday, May 17, 2010

Wotta week!

The last week has been both stressful and fun. It flew by, as it always does when you are pressed for time.

The conference loomed close and I was fast running out of time to finish everything before the big event. But finish it I did and everything was packed and ready. Fingers crossed.

During the week, friends of MOTH stopped by for a visit for a couple of days before returning to home many hours north. MOTH hasn't seen his friend for some time and it's been over 2 years since I last saw either B or his wife L.

It was great to catch up with both of them; I was greeted with hugs and kisses when I got home from work. To see B and MOTH together was a revelation. Both of them teased each other mercilessly, pinching, hitting, throwing things and giggling like children tucked behind the bike sheds in the school ground. I've not seen MOTH that relaxed and happy for some time.

Thursday morning I glanced out the bus window and noticed a pedestrian with a death wish trying to cross the busway. BY NOT USING THE OVERPASS but trying to dash directly across from one platform to another. *shakes head* Some people obviously have difficulty thinking. And he wasn't some stupid teenager either.

Friday afternoon, two of the GTs who were taking the work wagon to the coast for the conference left before everything was packed. This left a rather large box full of monitors, boxes etc to be transported there. I volunteered to take it. When we tried to fit it in the car we found out it was a wee bit bigger than we expected. Yoiks. We tried the boot. Nup. One look ruled that out. We tried the back seat. Ummm nope, the door wouldn't open wide enough. After much pushing and pulling we fitted it into the front seat and lay the back of the seat right down to rest on the back seat. Whew.

Saturday we packed. I must be losing my touch. Here I was travelling to a conference and I hadn't finished packing on the morning of the day we are due to depart. All my previous travel has meant that I have sorted out my outfits the week before, put them aside to make sure they were clean and have the suitcase 3/4 packed about 3 days before departure. I must be getting slack.

Saturday lunch time we left for the coast. Traffic down was fairly clear. I sat in the back seat and ended up falling asleep. For most of the way down it seems.

Saturday night we thought to heck with the cost, we'd dine in. No one seemed to have made any plans and Saturday night is fend for yourself. We dined in the restaurant. Wagu beef fillet with greens and truffle flavoured mash. Wary of the mash, we decided we go with it anyway on recommendation from the waiter. It turned out to be absolutely fabulous. The greens were crisp and flavoursome - broccolini, asparagus and beans, lightly sauteed in butter with a side of aoili. Or something. The mash had a slightly peppery taste and went very well with the rest of the meal. The meat was tender and cooked to perfection. A cheese platter followed. Several different types of cheese, dried apples and pears and quince paste. My credit card groaned but we shall deal with the consequences later, right?

Sunday was an all day work affair for me, beginning at around 07:30 and going through until 17:30. This is an event I do most of the organising for, liaising for catering and venue etc. It's a part of the conference and yet a separate event in that it's held on the Sunday all day; conference proper doesn't commence until the welcome reception at around 18:00 that night.

So now it's Monday 21:35, I'm pooped. The first day is completed, the sponsor cocktails have finished and I've been trying to work. Unfortunately, the web site isn't playing the game and I shall have to try again tomorrow. If it doesn't do it for me tomorrow, I shall be forced to phone the help desk. *sigh* Fingers crossed, it's an important and somewhat urgent task I need to complete.

Photos to follow. If I find any that I think are good enough to post, that is!

2 comments:

JoeinVegas said...

So you are the official transport committee? Sounds like you need a bigger car (or a truck)

Colleen Barnett said...

that Wagyu beef is all the rage down here too. Supposed to be the best. Can't eat it myself so who knows?

Sounds like you are having fun. Did you give the GTs heck when you saw them, for making you bring that box?

Yes, pics please...