Monday, July 26, 2010

Sometimes I wonder....

... if it wasn't for the desire to have a good wage so I can maintain a semi civilised lifestyle, what I would be doing.

I don't like work. Well, I like the social aspect of work because sometimes, just sometimes, I have a need to talk to people. I just don't like the whole routine of having to get to work. Work surely gets in the way of my play time.

The Hermit has made an appearance this week. Every so often he drops by ...

Would I be one of those feral hippies, living on a squat somewhere out in the bush, growing my own food and finding a way to supply everything I need so that I don't need to interact and only go into town a few times a year to get essentials that I can't supply for myself?

I hear those who know me scoffing. Well, it could be possible! Alright, okay, I concede. I don't like dirt under my nails and I love indoor plumbing. I couldn't live that way.

If I let the Hermit have his way, I would be permanently at home, indoors. No social interaction, no leaving the house. Until the day I decide that I need to leave and I cannot make myself do it. I'd end up one of those people who lie undiscovered because no one knew they had passed. But just so you know, I wouldn't be buried under piles of my own garbage. I'm lazy, but not that bad! *see previous paragraph* Just sayin.

I guess I'm just leading into the fact that this has been a very quiet week. I've not been riding the bus this week. I had Wednesday off work sick.

Thursday evening MOTH and I attended a bbq at his great niece's place. She told him she had an announcement to make. We hadn't been there before and had to leave straight after work. We plugged in Karen and off we went. We made good time through peak hour traffic too.

Hermit was making me a little reluctant because GN is a bit of a roughie and we'd not met any of her friends before. She had no other family attending so I wasn't quite sure what we were heading into.

It turned out well though. There weren't many there and they seemed to be lovely people. We met her fiance for the first time as well. She has two children, a boy and a girl. The girl is about 10 months. The boy is about 4 and he's quite a cutie. He had an older playmate over. As soon as MOTH settled into the lounge chair, both boys dog piled him. And they wouldn't leave him alone. I sidled further up the chair, content to stay out of it.

The announcement was mostly for MOTH and I apparently, as the others already knew about it. They formally announced their engagement and that he would officially adopt the girl child. *i belive the boy's father would not be happy with the arrangement if he were to adopt the boy as well* The wedding would be small and not many people would be invited beyond who was already there.

On the way home, MOTH told me that he had tried to pass the kids off my way but I didn't pick up on it. Yes, I told him. I thought you were quite big enough to be able to call it off when you had had enough. *grins*

I had determined that this weekend there would be no plans and I was going to do nothing. MOTH went out to fetch some necessaries for dinner Monday night and I stayed home. I watched 4 episodes of American Gothic on Saturday and later found myself getting caught by a movie called The Rookie. Did a load of laundry. Cooked dinner.

Sunday I caught up on some viewing I taped some considerable time ago. Played Sims3. Cooked dinner. Watched the CSI: Event screening Sunday night. It went for three hours.

Mission accomplished I'd say.

...____________________________________________...

PS: For anyone wondering, The Hermit is the stranger who comes to visit occasionally. He makes me play by myself. He makes me not want to talk to people. He makes me not want to leave the house. At all. He makes me sit quietly and stare at the walls. He stays anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks...

5 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

okay, I know I'm slow, old and blonde, but who is Hermit??

I personally see you living the hippie lifestyle, but with minions to do your gardening, cooking, cleaning etc for you. And of course they would have built you a lovely outhouse first...

*implize* I guess that IMPLIZE I think you are a coven leader or something? LOL!

JoeinVegas said...

Well, sometimes you need a quiet weekend.

sparklingmerlot said...

Hmm. I think the Hermit has a sibling who pops down South periodically. Sometimes with a nasty black dog but sometimes just by themselves and those times are quite pleasant. The black dog can take a hike.

Sometimes we do just need time out but our society is so ... well, social ... that expressing a desire to be 'alone' can be deemed to be, well, antisocial!

I think there is a huge market for a hippy colony with all mod cons!! We could be on to a winner :)

Colleen Barnett said...

Hermit sounds like a lovely chappie. And a horrible lot like me... :-)

Butterfly Kissez said...

Ahhhh I crave solitude some days! Just doesn't happen! I'd easily live on my own somewhere with just me and my dog. *grin*