Monday, August 30, 2010

Back on the buses

Yep. Riding the buses again this week while Zman is away on business. And it started well this morning. The traffic on the road I had to cross all appeared at once. I KNEW I'd miss the bus. Well, I nearly did. I almost got there - I will NOT run for a bus/train/whatever. And the driver started to pull away. I stuck out my hand and he opened the door, I got on, swiped the card, it didn't read so I swiped it again and he took off as I did that. Inertia is a b*tch! I didn't fall but it's not fun trying to get up the aisle when the bus is moving....

Monday dawned this week all dull and grey. Well, that's the way I saw it in, headache and all. I stayed home from work. The fact that Elder was expected to arrive had nothing to do with it. Nothing I tell you. They arrived near lunch time as well as I can remember. The Elder, Subs and Freddy. During the course of the day, I ask How long are they staying? Anywhere from two weeks to a month. I console myself with a Frangelico and lemonade. *floats*

Tuesday is back to work. I discover there was a fire in one of the data centres on Sunday. Wow. Most services are down as everyone works frantically to bring them back up. There seems to be a lot of people disappointed with the fact that it didn't take the whole building.

It's Thursday and services are still out. I haven't been doing much of anything because there just hasn't been access to most of what I need. I do have email and there is internet. I've been reduced to trying to clean up my other (redundant) email box. Entertaining that.

Friday rolls around and finally our printing is back online. The unit Director is showing his appreciation of all the hard work staff have shown by putting on some nibblies and free wine/beer/softdrink. I pop upstairs briefly to show my support.

Then head across to the Staff Club to catch up with one of the blokes who has left work. We sit and chat for a while; Zman and a couple of the others as well. They are tasting a new beer, Stone and something. It's pale and golden and doesn't taste too bad. For beer.

Saturday the bed arrives! Whoo! But wait. I'm not sure that this is the bed we ordered.... Fair enough, I'm used to a bed with a frame and now we're moving to an ensemble. I'm certain the one in the shop, although a little higher than the frame I was used to, didn't make me feel like I needed a stepladder to get into it?

I measure the height. It's 700mm (approx 27.5 inches) from the floor to the top of the mattress. No wonder I can make this bed without bending. No wonder I cannot sit on the side of the bed and touch the floor. The floor to my hip joint is only 750mm! *yes, i know. shorty*

I usually don't care what sort of pattern/colour the linens are, as long as I can make the bed look comfy. I don't think I can do it with this one. I have a queen size bed that I'm covering with a king sized doona. It barely covers the mattress - if I didn't tuck the sheets in, they'd hang way below the bottom of the doona. So wholly exposed beneath the doona overhang sits ... the base. Luckily, it's not padded cream but a grey fabric finish. I thought about investing in one of those 80s bed accessories - a valance. But that would just look silly.

Ideas anyone??

7 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

get a valance. I got one...

did you get MOTH to check it was the right one? Is it comfy?

*daftili* I bet you looked daftili trying to get up on that huge big girl bed :-)

SOL's view said...

The valance might work, if the doona was longer. I'm not kidding when I say it only just covers the mattress sides.

The style of the bed is the one on the order sheet, so either the one in the shop was on a different base or it was ordered wrong.

Apart from the having to actually CLIMB into bed, yes, it is comfy!

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with valances? At least they cover up the daggy old mattress base, and these days they come in all colours. Gotta love pillowtalk!

JoeinVegas said...

What's wrong with leaving it the way it is?

Hope you sleep well on the new one.

Gastronomy Gal said...

mmm there was a fire in the data centre at my work on Sunday too! Do we work at the same place?

Butterfly Kissez said...

I'm hoping there might be a serial data centre arsonist on the loosee and ours goes up too! I could use a week of nothing!

sparklingmerlot said...

We bought a valance but not a frilly thing. It's sort of quilted and looks quite sleek.

I think I posted photos of the new bed a wee while ago and you might get an idea of what it looks like.