Monday, November 22, 2010

A half strangled cat and a tangled dog!

It's been a busy week.

After a stressful work week, I called in sick on Monday. I think the reason I'm so very dispirited is that I would normally have had a brief holiday by now. I break up the year with a week at Easter, a week or two September/October, and a few odd days in between. This year I'm taking it all over Christmas so I've yet to have a decent break away from work.

There you go.

So, Monday I was sitting in the rumpus room and heard the lorikeets at the bird feeder. That's loud, but thought nothing more of it. A few minutes later, I walked through the kitchen and glanced that direction. Oh. It was a pair of galahs, not lorikeets! No wonder they were noisy.

At some point MOTH went out on an errand. He returned a couple of hours later with a small bunch of purple flowers he'd found on the footpath. I put them in a tiny little jug I have. They were so very sweet! And they lasted a few days. It's not the first time he's brought me these little roadside flowers, but it always makes my day.

From Wednesday I have to catch the bus again because Zman is travelling. Out on the busway I happen to glance up at the sides of the embankment. There is a door open in the side of the wall that denotes the sound barrier at the top.

And there is a bloke sitting in a wheelbarrow! His hands behind his head, legs swinging. It made my morning.

A lass is waiting at a stop. Maybe she's a student. Her gold belt catches my attention. When she actually gets on the bus, I can see it's a gold 80s glomesh style bum bag. For those overseas readers, I believe the Americans call them fanny packs. How handy would that be for an 80s themed party? I consider rolling her for it.

I'm standing in the kitchen after work and I hear my mobile go off. It's Zman. There is a problem with his accommodation. Oh, great. Just great. I spend some time online searching for alternatives but everything seems to be booked solid. I'm just thinking I should tell him to phone the travel agent, when he calls back. He's just phoned the travel agent and booked something else. Thank you travel agents. It seems that the first night accommodation was missing - he didn't pick it up, I didn't pick it up and the travel agent didn't pick it up.

Thursday proved to be an exciting day for the Elder's pets. Sheldon has a very, very bad habit of jumping at the cords that operate the vertical drapes. *bad kitty, naughty kitty* At some point, from his study MOTH heard a noise and came to look. There was Sheldon, hanging from one of the cords with it tangled around his neck. One very lucky kitty! MOTH lost one of his beloved siamese in a very similar fashion many years ago and it is one of the very few times I have ever seen him cry.

Sheldon followed him about for the rest of the day. And kept away from the cords for a day or two after that. But guess what, he's back at them AGAIN! I swear his behavior is getting worse. Even constant spanking doesn't help curb his enthusiasm for rampant mischief.

Thursday night is for shopping you know. Yes, it is. Fred was left on his bed in the garage. When we arrived back, he greeted us with tail wagging ... and a huge tangle of nylon rope around his front legs and body. We've no idea at all how he managed to do that.

Certainly seemed the day for it.

Friday I had a doctor's appointment. It's the first time I've been there for a little while. Whoo! A new receptionist. Male. Young. Attractive. Think I'm going to be sick a lot more often!

Saturday we headed out around mid morning for Bestie's little boy's 6th birthday party. The theme was Pirates! Which makes a change from dinosaurs. Bestie had found a company that do themed kid's parties; she hoped it would be worthwhile.

It was! Captain Jack turned up right on time, after a loud chorus from the kids. They were a little startled at first, but they soon warmed up. He kept those kids constantly occupied for a whole hour. Kudos, I say.

I'll add a photo later.

We stayed after everyone had left and relaxed a little. Dinner was offered, but MOTH was wanting to get home to check on the animals. It was nearly 5pm when we got home. What a day!

Sunday we caught a bus to the cinema at South Bank. I like those cinemas because they have great pricing. There are closer within driving distance, but when you pay $8.50 *plus bus fare* for an adult ticket compared to $16.50 *plus fuel*, it's a bit of a no brainer.

We chose our seats and waited for the screening of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. I teared up a little at the beginning at the whispered word, Obliviate. The cinema was deathly quiet through most of the movie, apart from some gasps, laughter and muffled tears.

Yes, surprisingly enough, there were some good one liners.

Can't wait for Part 2.

3 comments:

Colleen Barnett said...

Poor MOTH. He would be on edge now with that little rascal finding the chords. Maybe he can tie them up out of the way??

Gastronomy Gal said...

arghh,, totally not sure about the Harry Potter movies, I feel like they wrecked the books for me.

Butterfly Kissez said...

How lovely is MOTH to bring you flowers...its always a nice surprise. As for Sheldon...silly kitty and you know what? I remember when you guys lost your kitty the same way..you were living in Gladstone at the time and I remember visiting you guys with Col not long after that!

I want to see the Harry Potter movie! I loved the books with a passion and the movies are nowhere near the same but entertaining to watch just the same. The last time I tok my daughter and we spent the whole movie picking out all the faults from the book and the bits they left out lol.