Sunday, November 07, 2010

The Black Dog.

Been an odd sort of week...

Monday morning MOTH and I headed out early to collect the ute. We didn't have enough room in the car so it became necessary to hire something. Turned out to be a ute which MOTH would drive up to bring home some of the stuff in. He dropped me off at work and headed straight out. It felt odd, and I didn't really want him to go.

A message in the afternoon let me know he had arrived safely.

Monday evening it was home to an empty house. I felt odd, not quite knowing where I fit and having to cook dinner for one. I often wonder how singles do it. Cooking dinner for one is such a pain.

Tuesday morning felt strange as well. No competition for the bathroom. We have two bathrooms. Well, one is the ensuite, but it seems I am trying to do my makeup at the same time that MOTH is brushing his teeth, taking his medication or brushing his hair. It's a bother to go down the other end of the house to do my makeup there, so I wait.

That evening I cooked Wednesday night's dinner - quiche - so we didn't have to fuss. Then to cook something for me for dinner. The phone went off. I had my hands full and the tv blaring while I tried to watch something I had recorded the night before. The phone stopped ringing just as I reached it. I hate that. But I found I had two home messages. Which the phone never tells you about by the way. One from that day from a friend of MOTH's. One from the day before from the realtor.

The lease is up for renewal just before Christmas. The rent is hella expensive, but we decided we would like to stay for a little while longer.

I settle back in to eat and watch television. The phone goes off again. It's mother. We chat for a bit while I'm eating and the telly is on pause. She gets call waiting and we finish talking. I finally finish dinner and the phone rings again. It's mother again after having finished her previous call. We chat for a time longer.

Wednesday I phoned the realtor. The landlord is happy to renew the lease for another 12 months, with a $10 a week increase in rent. I guess we can't complain too much as last year we got to renew with no increase at all. She'll post the paperwork out to us.

MOTH and the Elder have arrived home by the time I get dropped off by Zman after work. They've decided not to unpack anything and will do it in the morning. It also seems that they didn't manage to fit all her stuff on the ute and in the car. Fred and Sheldon have arrived as well. I've met Sheldon before, but by golly, I didn't realise how much of a little mischief he was! I have a photo on my phone and maybe I will upload it another time.

Nothing much is happening for Thursday and Friday. I'm glad of Friday evenings after work. Sunny was thinking of coming down for a visit, but Thursday is shopping night so we leave it hanging again.

Saturday was relaxing. We have hired a couple of movies and I settle in to watch them. Iron Man 2, The Punisher: War Zone, and Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief. A movie marathon and I'm having fun.

The Elder and I go for a walk with Fred to the markets. She takes him for a hydrobath and spends some time buying him some treats. Her mood has relaxed a little over the last couple of days. I do the washing from the last couple of days and peg it out. It looked like rain at one point, but the clothes have dried and I bring them in.

And then.... there is an exchange of words with Subs and the black dog is barking at the door and shoulders his way into the house. Subs is abusive and the Elder has given him ample opportunity to use her words as ammunition for a fight. He's not very pleasant and even has words to say about MOTH. I don't waste breath on gentle words this time. I tell her what I think of what has been exchanged and it's not complementary.

I wish this dog would just go away... although dinner bought tears of laughter. Definite improvement.

4 comments:

JoeinVegas said...

Sounds like you went from quiet to very busy in one week

Butterfly Kissez said...

Hugs for Elder...He sounds like a nasty piece of work and Froggy is right...she needs to cut all ties with him although easier said than done I guess. Hope everything works out for her.

sparklingmerlot said...

Bloody black dogs and those that bring them!!! I hate seeing my kids unhappy in relationships when they don't realise it's the relationship that's making them unhappy.

I agree with you - Chris' bags will make excellent peswents! And they are already earmarked.

And my word verification is stave ... as in I hope you can stave off further grief with Eldest!

Gastronomy Gal said...

oh dear. She needs to cut off contact, but, the black dog can and will stay for a while longer- maybe she needs to go for professional help.